Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #1 
NorthernLights

Question 10 gallon Glass or Acrylic

Hello all!

So, having found myself with 4 julii corys (with plans to get 2 more when I find them as loners at the store, currently they are each about an inch long) living in my 5 gallon with my betta, I realize that I need to get a 10 gallon at some point soon.

I would like a kit that has incandescent lighting, so I can switch the bulbs to my aquarium CFL's for my large amount of live plants. I have a sponge filter (Lustar Hydor II, suitable for up to 20 gallons), so I don't care what filter it comes with, as I will discard it and use my sponge. I run bare-bottom tanks now, but I am considering adding a dish with sand in it for the Corys.

I currently have a Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 gallon, and I really like the tank, especially how thick the acrylic is, as durability is a major consideration for me. Sadly, Marineland does not appear to make a 10 gallon version of this tank. I like acrylic because it is so sturdy and hard to break, and I have to move approximately every 3 months for work (I do contract work).

I've looked around, and it seems that tanks at 10 gallons or more are all glass, with a few rare exceptions. My options right now seem to be the Top Fin 10 gallon kit (glass, runs about $30), the Grreat Choice 10 gallon kit (also glass, about $30, and seems to be identical to the Top Fin one, both being Petsmart house brands), the Marineland half-moon 10 gallon (glass, although they used to make an acrylic one), or a SeaClear 10 gallon hex-front tank ($125). I'm very nervous about a glass tank, though.

What do you all think? Is the expense of an acrylic large tank worth it for durability, or is glass going to be a better choice anyway? Is there another kit I should be looking at?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #2 
Aeon

after dropping my 2.5 gallon I dont think I will ever do glass again. Im actually gonna try to make an acrylic tank
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3 
SeaKnight

Of all my Tanks, I have 12 currently, ranging from 5-125 gallons, only ONE is Acrylic and I absolutely HATE it.. I find that it needs much more maintenance than the others, in terms of cleaning... It seems to be much more susceptible to algae growth, you need to be more careful with what kind of scrubbers/cleaners you use as it seems to scratch more easily, and because it is more porous , the algae is able to get a firmer hold and does not wipe off as easily, neither does any other debris, and cleaners are harder to wash away.... Just my personal thoughts on the matter.....

Last edited by SeaKnight; 09-14-2014 at 02:50 PM.
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #4 
kjg1029

I've had both types and I prefer glass because it stays clear, its easy to clean and they overall look better in my opinion. However there not bad if there only a few gallons and/or you'll be moving it alot...i got my bare ten gallon for ten dollars..when you add thr price of the plants and the fact that it an hold two bettas very comfortablely...its with the risk of it breaking of its cheaper. However you would only have to move it like once or twice ever, and usualy you break it when your carrying it..and im assuming you'll cycle it so breaking isn't really an issue :) idrather spend the $ to get a awsome heater and plants and decor, then on the tank its self.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 
Aeon

I hardly have any maintance on my 5 gallons n i have 3 acrylics crystal clear
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #6 
SunnyCydUp

Count me in for the glass tanks. I have 2 very large cats (20 and 24 pounds). The heavier and scratch-resistant glass were my primary decision factors over acrylic. And, as mentioned above, just prefer the overall look of the glass. While some dispute you can't tell a difference, I disagree.
SunnyCydUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #7 
SabastiansMom

Eh, I have both...my 10g is glass and I like it...but my 4g and my 35g that I will be getting this next Saturday are acrylic. I don't find that I really am partial to either. I like both for different reasons. So I'm sorry I'm no help.
SabastiansMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

I prefer glass tanks. Acrylic tanks break too easily. I mean yes glass tanks break when you drop them by I've had acrylic tanks break by just filling them with water and having them set up. Even moving an acrylic tank can break them.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #9 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
I prefer glass tanks. Acrylic tanks break too easily. I mean yes glass tanks break when you drop them by I've had acrylic tanks break by just filling them with water and having them set up. Even moving an acrylic tank can break them.

I had this exact situation happen to me recently, a temporary 4 gallon Acrylic tank was given to me, when I received it, it looked to be in near perfect condition (had to replace the air hose for the filter..) I set it up, had it running for about 3 days prior to my female coming home and then may be 2 days after adding her I noticed cracks spider webbing their way up the front "glass"...

She is now in a 10 gallon glass all to herself.....
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #10 
Tony2632

Well, both have it's perks and cons. To be honest I like the high clarity/low iron glass tanks now.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote