Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #1 
Seki

Need a new hood for 5.5 gallon... suggestions?

Unfortunately, the light in the hood on one of my 5.5 gallons has died apparently permanently. I don't like the idea of my fish being in darkness all the time and would like to replace the hood as soon as possible... but no stores seem to carry replacement 16" hoods!

I have been looking online and found one I think I like for a pretty decent price, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I have another Tetra tank that has LED lights and they are gorgeous, although they do make my crowntail kind of freak out because they make his tank walls reflective. Still, they look gorgeous and he usually calms down. So... what do you guys think of this hood?
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-LED-Aqua...SWC678PV1C3EMP

Or does anyone have any good alternative suggestions?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #2 
Aennedry

I have ordered this hood to replace the crappy one my tank came with, http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...ght-black.html. I have heard mixed reviews on LED hoods and live plants in tanks, so I went with this one because plastic plants are not an option in my tanks.
Aennedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #3 
Seki

The problem with that is that it's not really a hood. It's a light that you would have to purchase another piece to go with in order to create an actual hood. I was looking to just buy an all-in-one hood.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #4 
givemethatfish

What kind of hood do you have currently? You could just get a replacement bulb socket cheap.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #5 
Stone

that led hood is junk if you have plants unless it's like moss/java fern/anubus, you could just get a piece of cut glass and the little strip like or even plexiglas
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #6 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemethatfish View Post
What kind of hood do you have currently? You could just get a replacement bulb socket cheap.
Oh, is that an option? Mind you, I'm horrible at fixing anything. But if it's fairly simple I'd try it. I currently just have the hood that came with the 5.5 gallon TopFin kit. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #7 
givemethatfish

It's really easy as long as you can use a screwdriver. First thing to check though - take the bulb out and look inside the socket. There should be a little piece of metal in the bottom of it - this is what makes contact with the bulb. Take a butter knife or a chopstick or something (obviously unplug the thing first) and bend the little metal tab up **gently**.

If that doesn't work (or if the metal piece is broken off), take out the screw(s) - it should be obvious where they are, pull the socket and cord out of the hood, and take it to your local hardware store. Just ask for a replacement socket. Or if you're near an IKEA, something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10175810/.

Just put that in there the same way you took the old one out, put the splash guard back on, and bob's your uncle.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #8 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
that led hood is junk if you have plants unless it's like moss/java fern/anubus, you could just get a piece of cut glass and the little strip like or even plexiglas
You just named all the plants I keep haha. Moss balls, Java Fern, and Anubius. With any luck I won't even have to buy more since I have it growing in two other tanks. I would assume I can just take cuttings, right?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #9 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemethatfish View Post
It's really easy as long as you can use a screwdriver. First thing to check though - take the bulb out and look inside the socket. There should be a little piece of metal in the bottom of it - this is what makes contact with the bulb. Take a butter knife or a chopstick or something (obviously unplug the thing first) and bend the little metal tab up **gently**.

If that doesn't work (or if the metal piece is broken off), take out the screw(s) - it should be obvious where they are, pull the socket and cord out of the hood, and take it to your local hardware store. Just ask for a replacement socket. Or if you're near an IKEA, something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10175810/.

Just put that in there the same way you took the old one out, put the splash guard back on, and bob's your uncle.
Ohh that sounds simple enough even for me! I think I'll give that a try, thank you so much! Maybe I can coax my father into helping me haha so that I don't do something horribly wrong. Thanks again for the tip! I'm sure sockets are less expensive than hoods haha
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #10 
JDragon

http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aqua...s=16+inch+hood

This is the hood that I use on my 10 gallon tanks. Just takes normal aquarium lights or CFLs if you're growing plants. Both are sole at my local Walmart... You said 16 inch, so I can assume it would fit. Not positive though.
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote