Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #1 
shinitakin

Question Algae keeps coming back?

I have two bettas in a divided 5.5 gallon setup with a filter and some java fern and anubias. Lately, I've been having a lot of algae problem, at least, that's what I think it is. I normally do a 20% water change each week, but not I've upped it to twice a week, each time trying to scrub off some of the black-ish green stuff. It keeps regrowing on the plastic mesh dividers, walls, plants, and gravel... pretty quickly too.

Here is a picture of the stuff I keep scrubbing off.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/1e16c013...TdD1qhjpgy.jpg

What is causing this, and is there anything I can do to prevent it from coming back so fast?
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #2 
Aqua Aurora

Can't really tell from it in the bucket, easier to ID when seen in the tank before scraping off. Is it black fluffy tuffs on the plants (usually growing on the lighted side?)
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #3 
Tree

Looks like Blue Green Algae to me. and I am having the same issue with my 5.5 gallon as well. the only thing that will kill this pesky algae is a black out. or H2O2 but make sure not to add to much or it will hurt you fish.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #4 
shinitakin

It's dark greyish and fluffy on the plants, and it seems to grow on the leaves, the base, and the roots. I'll try to get a picture of it when it grows back.

And for a blackout, do you mean that I should not turn on the tank light or should to keep the room the tank is in dark as well? I normally keep the tank light on at night from about 6 to 11 PM. Is that too much for java fern and anubias?

Could it also be caused by overfeeding my fish? I feed both of them 3-4 omega one pellets every day and fast one day every week.

Last edited by shinitakin; 09-30-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #5 
Tree

Mmmm, maybe its BGA if you are saying that it is a dark grayish color.

yeah keeping the light out and covering the tank. so you have it on for five ours a day? or from 6 am to 11 pm?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #6 
shinitakin

Okay, so to get rid of blue-green algae, I should shut off the light and cut back on feeding? Maybe reduce the 3-4 pellets a day to 2 pellets?

And I'll try to find a towel or something to cover the tank. For how long should I keep the tank covered, and will my plants be okay with no light?

I have the tank light on for about 5-6 hours a day. But my room is generally bright from either the sun or my ceiling light from morning until about midnight.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #7 
Tree

If your tank is mature enough, than the plants will be fine. I heard three days of a black out will work but then I heard that a week will do. I am trying to get as much information on this as well before doing this myself.

what is your light wattage on you light?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #8 
shinitakin

The light bulb is 13 Watts. And I don't have a hood for my 5.5 gallon, so I'm actually using the light hood from my Aqueon 2.5 gal and keeping it on top of the left side for about 3 hours and then moving it to the right side for about 3 hours.

I'll probably clean the filter media tomorrow, as well, and scrub the gravel and plants again...
Old 09-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #9 
Tree

ah ok. what some people told me to do is clean off all of the algae, and then suck it out with a gravel vacuum, then black out. but I am still too nervous to black out the tank yet so I have been cleaning the algae off everyday. no snail or shrimp will eat the cursed algae too. =/
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #10 
shinitakin

How are you cleaning the algae off of your gravel? I have larger sized gravel, so when I swirl a turkey baster in it, the algae doesn't really come off and clings onto the individual rocks.