Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #1 
betbetta

Is a 29 gallon tank TOO big for a betta fish?

So my mom brought a betta fish home two days ago because the previous owner is no longer able to care for him due to health issues. She had been keeping him in a small fish bowl and he looked miserable. He was doing very little besides hanging out at the bottom of the bowl, probably due to the fact his water was way too cold. I moved him up to my bedroom and I've been slowly adjusting my space heater so his water will (hopefully) warm up a little bit. He's perked up some but this setup is obviously far from ideal.
I have an old 29 gallon tank (30 x 12 x 18) (along with a filter and heater)
I'm wondering if it's too big for him. Should I buy smaller tank or go ahead and set the big one up? I'm worried it might stress him out.
betbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #2 
BettaBeau

He would probably love it!!! Make sure it has plenty of plants (real or silk) and places to hide.
BettaBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #3 
Mishi

It depends on the betta. Some people have found that theirs prefers smaller tanks. My personal experience with my guy, Nami, is that he loves being the king of his own castle. He's completely alone in a 45 gallon while plants grow out and it cycles, and after spending most of his life in a little 3 gallon he couldn't be happier with all of his space. He used to tail bite constantly in his 3 gallon (though lately I'm suspecting that was due to some reflections or distortion because of the circular shape), but he's completely calm and healthy in the 45. I'm probably going to feel guilty when I invade 'his' territory with proper tankmates.
Mishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #4 
Reccka

The 29 gallon will only be "too big" if it's bare. Wide open spaces tend to freak them out. Like people said before, get lots of hiding places and plants(silk or live)Otherwise, go for it! If you really feel it's too big for just him, you can possibly look into tankmates. Personally I have my 30 gallon divided into 4 spaces and currently have 3 bettas. There's a lot of possibilities!
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #5 
betbetta

Awesome, thanks guys.
I'm looking forward to going on a fish supply shopping spree!
betbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #6 
Aqua Aurora

Every fish is different, some only seem to like smaller tanks (get scared of so much open space) but this is not a broad statement. Most likely a betta would love it. Just be mindful of filtration/flow strength.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #7 
Kim

I bet he will love it! Lots of decorations are key, as others have already said.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:55 AM   #8 
andakin

29 Gallon is definitely not too large. I just set up a tank that size last weekend.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #9 
averyecho

My friend has kept a betta all by itself in a 90 gallon before, and I've seen quite a few people on here who keep their bettas alone in really large tanks. It's fine, trust me.
As long as you provide plenty of hiding spaces, like the other members have said, you shouldn't have a problem with it. It's true that some bettas do not like large tanks, but I'm willing to bet that yours will love it.
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #10 
hgual22

He would love it as long as there are no areas with too much open water. As long as you have really tall plants, some low ones, floating ones and lots of hiding places. He should love it, and you could even end up getting him some tankmates eventually, depending on his personality. Sounds like an awesome set up to me!
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote