Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #1 
Npinja

Fluval C4 Power Filter Maintenance

I got myself a Fluval C4 power filter today and I'm looking forward to adding it in my new 45 gallon aquarium! I was just wondering how often I need to replace the filter media that is inside the Fluval C4 (poly/foam, activated carbon, bio-screen pad, and C-nodes). Thanks!
Npinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #2 
Bilbo Baggins

Hi The Fluval C4, should not need the media changed at all just cleaned every 3 months or so, with the exception of the activated carbon which is recommended that you change the activated carbon every year. its a good filter Ive had one in the past and it lasted about 5 years before it stopped working due to electric motor problems. Good Luck
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #3 
Npinja

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #4 
Npinja

How come I have heard of people saying to change your activated carbon every couple of weeks or so because that's how long they last? I have also heard that activated carbon lasts longer depending on the tank.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #5 
Bilbo Baggins

Hi again npinga, I looked into the benefits of having activated carbon in your filter and have to agree that you are mostly or pertly correct, apparently it is recommended that you change your activated carbon every 3 months if it is felt that it is neccessary in the first place. I also found out that activated carbon does not remove ammonia or ammonium or nitrates from your tank water but insted removes excess medications and chemical spikes, excess metals etc in the water. In fact it is recommended that you only use it when it is deemed necessary and in well maintained tank with regular water changes etc it might not be required at all. Sorry to mislead you, but as a returning fishkeeper I have always used activated carbon in my filters thinking that it was indispensible, now I find out that this might not neccessarily be the case, sorry to mislead you, but it was unintentionally so, and I have been educated myself on this matter, good luck with the filter Fluval make good stuff.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #6 
Npinja

It's fine. Thanks for letting me know! I think zeo-carb is the stuff that removes ammonia from your water. You can purchase zeo-carb at your local pet store. If carbon is not necessary, I think I will just fill the basket with bio-balls or something in the future.

Last edited by Npinja; 02-19-2016 at 05:51 PM.