Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #111 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Don't know about the ruggedness of imports. I haven't heard that. You're on the AB thread, so you would know better than me. My only import is a wild B smarigdina. He's tough as nails.

If you change water to keep ammonia below 0.50ppm and use Prime to lock that up, any fish should be able to handle that. I only worry about new keepers without test kits.

Just for fun, here's my one-sentence cycling tutorial:

Change half the water whenever ammonia rises above 0.25ppm or weekly, whichever comes first, dosing Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with changes and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #112 
beautiful Betta

Very good advice and exactly my thoughts, it amazes me the amount of people that have new tanks. And have no idea of Ammonia and Nitrite. Nowadays what with internet you would think that people would do some research before their fish gets sick.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #113 
jaysee
Reference Team

Step-by-Step Nitrogen Cycle Guide

Goes waaaaay beyond fish. Seems like people either don't do any research or they get analysis paralysis.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #114 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's the main reason the BF disease section is multiple times busier than over at TFK.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #115 
KSbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Don't know about the ruggedness of imports. I haven't heard that. You're on the AB thread, so you would know better than me. My only import is a wild B smarigdina. He's tough as nails.

If you change water to keep ammonia below 0.50ppm and use Prime to lock that up, any fish should be able to handle that. I only worry about new keepers without test kits.

Just for fun, here's my one-sentence cycling tutorial:

Change half the water whenever ammonia rises above 0.25ppm or weekly, whichever comes first, dosing Prime @ 2-drops/gal of tank size with changes and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled.

agreed, this water cycling indeed is "healthy" way for new tank. Just wonder how the Asian breeders cycle their bottles / tanks - fishless or ammonia or IAL or rain water etc.? Now they even place their betta in plastic bag permanently, wonder if they cycle these plastic bags? Wonder why - they have stronger fish ?
KSbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #116 
Hallyx
Reference Team

They don't cycle the jars or bags. Daily water changes with special devices.

I'm not sure, but I think they only cycle the breeding tanks.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #117 
beautiful Betta

I am not a 100% on this but also their water in Asia is a lot softer than ours which if I understand all I have read this also make the Ammonia a less toxic form, which maybe how they can get away with it more than we can.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #118 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good point, bB.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #119 
KSbetta

Hallyx, great observations. They know and use a lot of water change instead of water cycling.
They collect rain water or age tap water, they also use IAL and coralchips regulate water para.
Interesting and contrasting differences between east & west.
One gallon of water ratio to one inch of body, one small bottle/bag per fish that also do well.
Cars and houses in US use to be super big compare to Asia(Hk/japan).
Common denominator is gas/petrol is super expensive, so as all the Chemicals.
We all spend to keep these companies (and fish) very happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
KSbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #120 
Tree

So, not sure if this was answered in the past comments. I just set up a 5 gallon tank for my boy Sardine. I just want to know how long should I wait to add in my boy? It's a NPT soil, gravel and six kinds of plants filtered and heated.

here is the picture:
http://s928.photobucket.com/user/Tre...tml?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by Tree; 04-24-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote