Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #51 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
I tested today and my cycle is complete! 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. Thank you again for the advice to do a water change. I am so happy!!!
Woohoo!! Good job!! Now do another water change cause you are looking to be at about 20ppm. No higher generally. Try to keep it there or lower. The only way to lower it is a water change.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #52 
Jexx

question, I was doing a bucket cycle. Moving the filter to the new tank will take care of the nitrates right?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #53 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
question, I was doing a bucket cycle. Moving the filter to the new tank will take care of the nitrates right?
No, nitrates have to be removed with water changes. If the filter in the bucket is converting ammonia into nitrate, then it is cycled, and can be moved to a tank making the tank cycled. It will continue to convert ammonia into nitrate.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #54 
Jexx

Sorry lol I realized I did not word that properly. What I mean is, by moving the cycled filter to the new tank, the nitrate level should start from scratch correct? the level of nitrates in the bucket won't matter at that point?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #55 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Sorry lol I realized I did not word that properly. What I mean is, by moving the cycled filter to the new tank, the nitrate level should start from scratch correct? the level of nitrates in the bucket won't matter at that point?
Once you moved the filter, ammonia would stop being consumed and nitrates would stop being produced in the bucket, and would begin being produced in the new tank.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #56 
justmel

I have several tanks (2 29 gallon, 5 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 4 gallon, 2.5 gallon) and I've never paid attention to cycles or how to cycle. Is there a way to know if my tanks have already cycled? Both my 10 gallon sororities with live plants read 0 nitrites & 0 nitrates. I haven't really checked the others as I have plans to make them NPTs.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #57 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I have several tanks (2 29 gallon, 5 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 4 gallon, 2.5 gallon) and I've never paid attention to cycles or how to cycle. Is there a way to know if my tanks have already cycled? Both my 10 gallon sororities with live plants read 0 nitrites & 0 nitrates. I haven't really checked the others as I have plans to make them NPTs.
If at the end of a week without water changes you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, then your tank is cycled. If you have to do frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down, then your tank is not cycled.

I would venture to say that many of the people that do these frequent water changes actually have cycled tanks, and they just don't know it.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #58 
justmel

Thank you jaysee. I'll have to test it. I do frequent water changes because I thought I should. I'll start testing the tank before hand and see what it says.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #59 
jaysee
Reference Team

Most fish keepers don't change the water more than once a week. There's nothing wrong with doing water changes more frequently than that, as long as you are doing it because you want to. Some people enjoy making more work for themselves. But if you are doing 3 or 4 water changes a week because you're afraid your fish will die if you don't, then you ought to find out if your tank is cycled so that you know whether or not you actually need to maintain such a rigorous schedule.

Your tanks have filters? Hopefully you don't throw the filter media out every month, because that will cause problems with stability. I know they say to replace them, but it's really unnecessary. They just want you to buy more product. Sponges are the best mechanical media you can use - they last forever. All you need to do is periodically clean them, when you notice the water flow has been reduced. In addition to saving money, you will allow a strong established bacteria colony to grow that will make your tanks all but bulletproof.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #60 
justmel

I do frequent, 2-3 times weekly changes, because I thought I needed to for their health. I'm just now learning about cycled tanks and figured before I go and try to cycle my tanks I should find out if they had on their own first. Of course my fry tank will still get frequent water changes, but that's a different situation. I will definitely be testing my tanks to see if they have cycled. Not just to cute back on the work, but the water bill too. I use sponge filters by the way.

Would you mind me PMing you about cichlids? I noticed you have a few.