Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
Dichotomy83

Betta, Mollie and Pleco?

Hello.

Im new to freshwater tank keeping and this forum as well.

My spouse and I have set up a 20g tank and are looking to transfer Alpha (our male betta) in.

The tank is going to also have 2 black mollies and a albino bristle nose pleco. There will be 2 "hiding places".

Does this seem adequate for an aquarium of this size? We will be adding the mollies and pleco first, to avoid territory issues.

Should the mollies and pleco be in the tank for a specific amount of time before we add our betta?
Dichotomy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

it all depends on the betta. i've had two other bettas in my molly/platy/ADF community (not at the same time!) and they did fine, but my newest is having more trouble adjusting, he's calming down now but he was nippy and chasing for a while. some bettas do well in a community, some don't. i'd float him in a cup before introducing him, see how he reacts to other fish.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 
Dichotomy83

Thanks for the reply.

When I float my betta in a cup, what things should I be looking for to indicate possible problems?

Is there a certain length of time I should float him before introducing?

Also, once he is introduced, what things do I look for to indicate incompatability?

If I notice he isnt mixing well, how do I intervene to separate?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy83 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

When I float my betta in a cup, what things should I be looking for to indicate possible problems?

Is there a certain length of time I should float him before introducing?

Also, once he is introduced, what things do I look for to indicate incompatability?

If I notice he isnt mixing well, how do I intervene to separate?
the amount of time to float a betta is something of a point of contention between owners...i personally gave him about an hour or so.

what you should look for is fairly simple: either excessive flaring to indicate hostility, or clamped fins and erratic swimming to indicate intimidation. once he's in the water, if he spends an undue amount of time either hiding or chasing the other fish, he might be a problem in there. if you see him actually strike another fish, observe him as closely as you possibly can, and if it continues either remove him to a solo tank, or return him if you don't have room for another fish by himself. if he continues to chase the other fish, but doesn't strike them, he may just be "marking his territory" and it will pass once he's used to his surroundings. think of it kinda like a criminal just getting out of jail: going from being cooped up by yourself for so long in a cup (cell) and then freed into the big tank (world) it takes time to adjust, and even an initially hostile betta can, with a bit of time and care, become a safe, beautiful addition to your community.

sorry if this seems long winded, i just recently had this problem with a betta of mine so i've been reading up on it a bit.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 
Dichotomy83

The pleco and mollies are set up in the 20g now.
Alpha the betta is still hanging out in the other room in his 2.5g tank.
Im planning on introducing Alpha by floating him first and then seeing how he acclimates. My spouse and I will both be home tomorrow to observe things, and I'll be home all day Monday as well.

Should I buy sinking pellet food for him, seeing as the tank is too new to have algae and bacterias growing yet?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #6 
Silverfang

Even BN are recommended for 30G. Algae wafers are a good option, but they really do like blanched veggies. Cucumber, zuchinni, some like sweet potato (raw), peas, beans, etc.

They also NEED wood, driftwood of some sorts to rasp on. It aids in their digestion.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #7 
Dichotomy83

Whats BN?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

BN = Bristle Nose (Pleco).
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

i wish pet stores would be more forthcoming about just how big plecos get...every day i see someone online who's bought one, either just as a pet, or as a "utility fish" and doesn't know that it's gonna take over his tank in a few months...even the bristlenoses can get to be six to eight inchs long, and require more space than the casual fish lover is prepared to devote to them.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 
Dichotomy83

Well it looks as though one of the black mollies is sick. There is a sort of subtle fuzzy white outline to him and hes just sitting at the bottom of the tank. Does this sound like "ick" or another fish disease?

I plan on getting back out to the pet store asap --- to treat the illness and buy driftwood.

Needless to say I wont be introducing Alpha until I'm sure the tank is healthy.