Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

question for anyone with an engineering background

in my line of work (warehousing and logistics) i come into contact with a lot of truckers, many of them long-haul boys, and i had an idea: for those with sleeper cab trucks, do you think it's possible to make a fish tank that's got either a gyro swivel system, or a set of piston shocks sensitive enough to account for the bumpiness of a semi at highway speeds, and keep the water still enough for bettas (or other fish) to live happily in it?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 
Kelly0727

I don't know how.. but it must be possible.. that would be a great idea! I know the show tanked on animal planet made a small bus into an aquarium.. so it must be possible.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 
registereduser

Maybe suspend it from the ceiling?

Look at this pretty thing! The 5 gallon is only $1200 & shipping $170

http://www.robertcomptonpottery.com/...Aquarium-1.htm

I was looking around on his site and you
can get secondhand quality for half price!

Last edited by registereduser; 08-26-2012 at 02:58 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #4 
Kelly0727

0_0 I could get my 180 gallon aquarium for that price LOL! But it is pretty! Would love to have one like that.. but i'd want it around 10 gallons. ^_^
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly0727 View Post
0_0 I could get my 180 gallon aquarium for that price LOL! But it is pretty! Would love to have one like that.. but i'd want it around 10 gallons. ^_^
he makes 10 gallon and 5 gallon sizes but of course the 10 gallon is double the price
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 
Kelly0727

Haha I think ill stick with my 180 gallon and get the eel my boyfriend and I agreed on getting :D
Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Water in/on a moving vehicle will always get inertia. I've tried cushioning as well as fastening - same result. The best way to reduce inertia is IME by hanging them. I haven't done this to big buckets/tubs. But small plastic bags will not splash much because the bag sways back and forth instead of the water.

That being said, the safest way to keep tanks in moving vehicles is by having tight lids on them. On smooth straight roads, there shouldn't be much inertia. But when the vehicle hits bumps or makes sharp turns, the water will sway and may spill.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #8 
Pilot00

The spillage is not the problem i believe, the problem is how to reduce the earthquake feeling on the fish.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
The spillage is not the problem i believe, the problem is how to reduce the earthquake feeling on the fish.
exactly. that's why i though either piston shocks, or a free-floating gyro system would work.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #10 
Koda

I seem to remember an aquarium being installed in a car on Pimp my Ride a loooonng time ago, but they didn't do anything to account for the movement of the water as the car was being driven. They just kind of positioned it between the back seats or something, the poor fishies. I hope that car owner took the tank out when the cameras stopped rolling.

I know they make cars that are supposed to be low shock and you aren't supposed to feel the bumbs and dips in the road, but even that won't keep you from feeling the car turning, and that alone would throw water everywhere. Some sort of gyro system might help with keeping the fish upright in the tank, but when you turn a little strong there will still be a pull caused by the centripetal force which (I think) would cause the water pressure to fluxuate and might be pretty stressful on a fish if they have to endure it frequently.

On a side note....I think stuff like pistons and/or a gyro system could look really cool on a non-mobile tank! I'm picturing something stem-punk. Oh! and for the inside of the tank, you can have gears as hiding places and wires as the "plants" (of course with no real metal in them).
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote