Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #231 
pyro fiend

yea but only thing im worried about with a 55.. is what if i dnt have enough plants n stuff? the 5 girls will be spawn mates n almost 4 months old. from a verry nice lady on here. hoping i get my money tho. im aready lookin what to buy. think ima just go with a 40$ filter from petco for up to 70g [more the better ofc!] and a few light bulbs [thnk 5bucks ea] n a 'brooder lamp' or too more. then build a light stand from pvc and zip ties [zipties to hold cods onto the pvc so i dont have to do nethng special to them lol]! :D now where to put it -.- plus i still need to make a brace for the 55 -.- i have the wood for a stand..

-shug- ill find something out! ill have to move my room around again lol i dnt mind tho ;p that 55 would be sexy to have in front of my bed lmao! but a windows right in front of bed -.- ik the screen fits between the window n the wall but itd block the only free wall outlet i got.. aaah decisions decisions -.- lol def wna set up my 55 for plants tho.. n looks like one of my swords is just getting worse :( may turn light off for a few days bout to do a 30% water change maybe thtl help the plants? o.0 ik they like fresh water lol
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #232 
prodrumernate

im sure it will be fine and u can gradually add to it...oh they should get along just fine then..unlike mine..came home from work..went to feed my 2 girls.noticed their fins torn up..then noticed they were on opposite sides then what i put them on yesterday.noticed the divider suction cups,1 had fallen off..i was surprised to see they were separated on opposite sides haha.. thats a good idea.i need to buy another tank for my female molly..like a 5 gallon..i need to make a light for my 20g hex..ah yes definitely need the brace for it..

atleast u have a room to set all that up in.wish i had my own room.i know id have atleast a 50g in there.im not sure how much light the swords need exactly.i have left the light off for several days on all my plants and didnt really change much..they do indeed like fresh water.of course their nutrients r in it :) if the plant is looking brown or yellow on the leaves.its lacking some nutrient.i forgot which 1
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #233 
pyro fiend

well i think i found out whats wrong with the 10. those bulbs i put in there.. STUNK musth ave been rotting. making my amonia spike. [ottos are cupped and so is paparazzi now] but all my plants r low light. except one its any light.. but the ammonia and my dumbness killed most of that plant [the stem] thought i could le tit sit in a bowl of water wiel i tried to change tanks around. ended up having to go wm for something.. came back within a hrs time.. the leaves were ore crispy the a burn chicken nugget.. lol

so just set the 20 back up looks so bae now.. n alot of the leaves r yelloish and or transparent :( god if i blew 20 bucks and killed them im sticking with silk >.< and i was going a 50% change or so ev 3-4 days [tho it did sit for a week this last time.] sence i didnt save much of the good water due to chocolate milk effect lol.. so cnt be lack of netrients i dnt thnk :\

but wow what sad luck thus why id never use suction cups unless i glued/siliconed them ;) but you might be better off giving the molly away. a 5g would be to much work for what its worth :\ but with light. id personally get a shop lamp/brooder lamp from wm/homedepot/lowes and put a compact bulb with a K rating high enough for your plants if im remembering right u used plexi? i think the light can get thru it :) plus you got a hex most lights r just rextangular. if by some chance you needed 2 to light it right.. youd be screwed.. normal strip lights for aq are like 50+ -.- wiel the lights i will be/do use are like 10 bucks for lamp and lights r like 5 lol it may not be the prettiest. but itd be the best for the animals :D [only think youd need one tho]
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #234 
prodrumernate

makes me wonder now what happened to the plants exactly.i mean what caused them to grow like that.i put another divider in my female tank to put my molly in there.i left 1 of the plants out by accident for a couple hours.the thing started to wither and dry out.put it back in.i can see it trying to grow again.but doesnt look as good as b4...

i was going to buy new bulbs for my plants.but changed my mind since they seem to be doing on with what lights i have,like ur plants.they r low light.

the suction cup failed bcuz of how i had put them on.i over lapped them not realizing it and air got in and it fell.now they r holding just fine.i actually fount some mesh canvas at walmart.6 of them for like 2.97...pretty good price..

online i fount hex hoods for like 60 or 70 bucks.thought of getting 1.but changed my mind bcuz of price.can almost buy a new hex tank for that price..the lamp for it sits behind it clamped to a bar..plants seem to grow fine even when i have the light turned off during the week.since its next to the kitchen.it gets light from it.all we can do is keep monitoring our plants and see what happens...
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #235 
pyro fiend

yea idk. i just.. o idea. and randomly one of my big bamboo shoots started dieing in a girls tank.. like idky loljust started to die n decay.. i may not evn be getting the small girls the lady said she was gona look into heat packs but never did.. i dont want betta sicles.

in the meantime im gna try n grow my stem plants in a half filled 10. may fill lil more.. i got the dragonfish in there alone with pvc as a hide.. no filter or nethng [still waiting on it to die in half honesty] may use the water change water to fill it up more today aint decided. i started with like 6 stems.. 1 died in my big tank.. another 2 died from getting too dry. one got knocked outa gravel n floated to top to die.. now im down to two... im hopin they grow soo bad -.- most of my plants in the big tank r kinda ok.. still dk wth happened.. both my girls r great. all 3 otos are alive paparazi is always chillin in his asian water fern [floater] and my agressive male hes just being a lonely lump [oh well! hes mean lol] keep debating on spending some money on making the divider for the 10 but i keep pushing the idea away sence i wana make the 10 a sorority kinda too -.- lol if not i wana use it as a spawn tank :3
Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #236 
prodrumernate

i know bamboo cant survive a very long time fully submerged.i thought of using bamboo my self for an asian theme.little pricey for me though ;) haha betta sicles.u wont be getting the girls at all?

try selling or giving away the dragonfish.im sure some1 would want it.heck if i had the room for another tank.id get it.some of my stems float to the top and do just fine.ill leave them there eve for a month bcuz im too lazy to replant them haha..u sound like me with the debating and delaying.like with my driftwood.i still havent cut it up.i guess on the weekends im so tired from work i just lay in bed most of the day.wont even get up to clean my tanks out like i need too.though i did make another divider and put my molly in my 10g female tank..

now both our fish are doing great :) im actually home from work early bcuz of pain from kidney stones.but i tried seeing a doctor about it.cant afford it and i need to go in for evaluation to make sure i need to see a urologist.i feared about loosing my job and finally had the woman from the temp service say i need to go.now its just a matter of getting proof im not playing hooky or anything and prove that im in pain etc..

pyro be a pretend doctor and fill out paper work for me to prove i went so atleast i have proof until i can actually see a doctor ;)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #237 
pyro fiend

idk i may not i did some research n when he plant goes transparent its leaves r dieing so i cut all brown and transparent leaves... now i have like no plants =\ 3 arg swords [of my like 7 bulbs in the petco contanier] hav no leaves left 2 have like 1 leaf one has 2.. my amazon swords.. all have like one-4.. my anubia if gettin a transparent leaf UGH!!!! im bout to give up on plants for real.. till i have a few lights for a hood -.- so i dono if ill get the girls.. i rly want them its 15 for 5.. thats shipped.. but i dont wana get 4-5 girls and have no plants ya know?

also now my hmdt is acting funny always laying on the sand or in the knuckle of the wood =\ idk wats wrong with him tho :'( ottos r in same tank n r fine. 2x as active now tht no plants.

try not to wetyourself.. butt i finally found the tings for dividers!!! i actually had to get a manager at wm to go in the back and grab them.. got two 6packs. 2.12 after taxes :D i put up 3 dividers in my to to see how itd look. not to bad.. but i hafta move it around because i use over the tank filters nd a even 1/4 split puts it right under one of them.. debating on putting my 2 girls in parts on left with 1/4 evenly divided. and maybe keep the dragon fish on the right with 5g? o.0 hes in a 1/4 size thing used him to test the strength lol not to bad [tho my use scotch tape to hold one in place a lil better. but i also might be setting up the 55 soon. if i do ima make it a big comunity tank wih a couple plants. float them in a tank so they get nice and big il build a stand n set my 10g maybe 20g too on bottom of it and 55 on top get a filter and some normal tank lights [hopefully off cl] save lil money upgrade lights then set up the tank with dirt and gravel/sand and use some rosys/tetras for in fish cycle. and leave it at that maybe add a male betta or a few vry docile females.

all thease plants dieing its almost making me not want fish =\ keep thinking i wana plant it with a few swords, some moss, a liguigia or 2 [tho i dnt wana add iron =\] and some anchored plants. and leave it at that. never add many fish so i dnt need to do water changes lmao just top offs cuz my boiload will be so small and my plants will just nom it up :3 lol. no hastle n id still have a pretty tank o.0

btw "i am a doctor, minus the med school! but all i prescribe is vodka and redbull" ;D
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #238 
prodrumernate

i seem to have problems myself with some of my plants.my hex tank with plants r growing just fine.my first 10g plants look like they wana die..my 2nd 10g 1 side looks bad.other side is fine..getting confusing to me.i still havent bought any plant lights for them.hopefully soon i will and see if that makes a change.but whats funny is the lighting on my hex isnt a hood light.just a lamp sitting behind it to which i only turn on on the weekends when im at home most the day..

id keep an eye on him.he might be getting sick or just stressed maybe.since the other fish r fine i think there isnt any diseases going around.although i had a mystery snail die over the week and had fungus growing from it and some little critters.yet the other fish r fine.

haha wow great..feels good getting them dividers up doesnt it? ;) ur setup with the girls and dragon fish sound fine to me.of course others might say 5g is to small for him.but i did that with my female molly.they r all happy as can be.the plan u have for the 55g etc sounds like a good idea..id do that.especially since u have them all on hand.i wish i had room for a 55g here.that way i can put all my fish in 1 big tank..

u know i was thinking about since i dont have many fish in both my 10g not doing water changes myself.only on the 20g hex since it has a lot of fish..i just thought i had to do it anyways.1 10g has 2 males in it.the other has 2 females,female molly and an oto.all have live plants in them.hmmm i may try that and see what happens myself :)

haha vodka and redbull...great prescription.good thing u didnt say a yager bomb..i dont like the taste of liquorice.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #239 
pyro fiend

haha idk on the 55. i keep tossing it around in my head. i cant seem to keep the thought long cuz i cant seem to keep my plants alive and its killing me.. i had to cut back like every single leaf on all plants :'( may just give up on plants tbh. al u need is a normal hood for 10's but for 20s on up ull need to buy new things.. its killing me lol =[ my buddy has a 75 set up as npt with swords moss's and its packed with plant, not a 'eww omg thts a mess' but a REALY nice tank display and it has like 12 ammo shrimp some ghost shrimp 9 ember tetras. and his levels are so perfect with so many pants. he dont even need to do water changes =[ lol thats a dream tank huh? lol but hes got like 300+ just in lights *GULP* no idea man im just reaching the point.. love fish. but this plant dieing thing sucks.. lol but a week or 2 w/e major changes should be fine. i mean they have a filter n they lived so long in those cups!!

you took so long to reply i pulled the one side out anyways lol he seems to like it. no decor in any of the sides yet except my plants floating in it hoping itl help them grow. also took paparazi n put him in a 1g he seems fine now but pff no [safe] place for otos but in the 20 n its now empty with just wood n a floating plant i keep adding algae wafers but i think ima stop they seem to mold quickly =\

im so con-fizzled DX i even put the 55 on craigslist to see if ne1 wanted. i figured if they do sweet more money to do w/e and i can buy another 55+ next time the 1$ per gallon comes around [just happened a month ago] if not im stuck with it. sofar nothing =[ wats worse is with such little damage youd think a reptile guy would want it.. im asking 60 for a 20$ topper and a $55+ tank [tho slightly damaged] only one 'offer' was made some a%& hole said "ill give you 20 bucks if yu deliver it to me, im in kc.." well one to kc and back in the truck is like 30 bucks... and i thought well.. okay.. and asked if he ment an extra 20.. hes like "oh heck no i mean 20 total. you deliver im not paying for your gas" im like EFF YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON BRO!! lol
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #240 
prodrumernate

id agree...dream tank.id love to have it.im going to guess my problem also with mine is not proper lighting.i make enough money to get better lighting.just havent got yet.my levels stay pretty good.infact i dont test much or change water much bcuz i know what its going to read.i just do water changes to vacuum out old waste and thats it.well as well as algae.but once lighting is upgraded.shouldnt be any problem.u mentioned silk plants.do that with the 55..

just busy with work lately.then i come home and do many things.weekends i work on car etc..otos will be fine without much in there.all they care about is the algae.maybe a simple hiding place.

jeez wouldnt even pay delivery gas.thats just stupid..crackhead or something thinking he can get it that cheap.id keep the 55.it can always come in handy at anytime.i even have a 20g long reptile tank.sitting in storage..i know it will come in handy 1 day