Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Exclamation Help! What's wrong with my betta fish?

Hey, guys...Can you help me with identifying what this might be?
Is this fin rot or something else? Is it severe? How can I fix it? (The white circle things are dried water drops on the outside of the tank):

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ttaRage/J3.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ttaRage/J2.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ttaRage/J1.jpg

Thank you!
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would say yes. How big is his tank? Is it heated? How often do you do water changes & how big are they? Fin rot is typically a water quality issue so it's very important to keep their water clean and if the tank is small (<5g) it's even more important. And yes that looks pretty bad. Doing frequent, every day or very other day, water changes will typically be enough to heal it. Others will say add salt but I say you don't need it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #3 
Joaquin

Thank, for responding, shellieca! I wasn't sure if it really was fin rot or not. I have been changing his water every day, and I tried a little bit of Aquarium Salt. It's hard to tell if he's improving or not, though.

I also bought Maracyn Two which has been recommended by a few people (I haven't used it yet), but should I only use medications like that if his fin rot shows no signs of healing and/or gets really bad?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 
Joaquin

Oh, and his tank is a 1 gallon right now. He doesn't use a heater because it's pretty warm where I am (his water temperature is at 80 degrees right now).

Since it's a 1 gallon, I try to change him every day. I usually go for 95% changes one day (I say 95 because some of his old water ends up staying in there when I transfer him back into the tank) and then like a 50% the next...
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Heres the treatment for fin rot:

Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 
Joaquin

So, if anyone happens to pass by this forum, I have a question about Maracyn 2. I am a little bit confused about the instructions on it. It says to dose the tank one day, and then on the next day, dose it again. Does this mean to dump out the old water and dose the new one or does it mean to dose the water already dosed? I'm guessing it is to change the water and then dose...Sorry!! I over think everything, guys!!...but let me know, please.

Tags
betta fish, disease, fin rot, fungus