Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #1 
morganville

Urgent Help! Long term sick betta, come home to find him stick thin and colorless

Got an injured betta from a petstore a month ago. Was fine then started getting sick. Treated him once in blue medicine water and then was better then had parasites and blue water treated again. I went away for 2 weeks and my dad took care of him. My dad said he ate for one of the first times a few days ago (he had barely been eating at all since he first got sick) but he is super thin compared to my other two bettas. He was also a grayish with black markings betta and his black is pretty much all gone, leaving him even more sickly looking.

He is currently sitting on the top of his bowl motionless. He tries to swim but its awkward and he doeant leave the surface. His breathing is very light too.

Please help!
morganville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Please fill out,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

And post a picture, I'm sorry he's sick. :( But methylene blue is bad for them if used a lot. It doesn't cure everything either, just keep him in a clean tank for now until the disease is diagnosed.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #3 
Basement Bettas

If he is not eating and very thin there may not be much you can do. Probably has something internal going on and if not eating he may not be here much longer. If so keeping him warm and comfortable may be kindest option rather than throwing all kinds of meds at him. Get pic please..
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #4 
morganville

Housing What size is your tank? He was in a 1 gallon filtered but is now in 1 gal non filtered
What temperature is your tank? Unsure
Does your tank have a filter? Not now
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? How often do you feed your betta fish? Floating pellets also tried to coax him with bloodworm treats when he wasn't eating. He's apparently eating the pellets slightly now

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? Once a week partial
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Partial to half
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner/ aquarium salt pinch, nite it out, special blend ecosystem drops, stress relief

Water Parameters: Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Nitrite: Nitrate: pH: Hardness: Alkalinity: have not/can not test at this time

Symptoms and Treatment How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Went from gray with blavk markings like a cow to almost all gray
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Can't swim properly, doesn't eat, acts sporratically, doesn't flare
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Does your fish have any history of being ill? Was ill, blue water meds, looked better then got parasites and was treated again with blue water and that solved the parasites but now he is very thin and frail looking
How old is your fish (approximately)? Had him for a month but is full size fish

WILL POST PIC ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Please fill out,
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

And post a picture, I'm sorry he's sick. :( But methylene blue is bad for them if used a lot. It doesn't cure everything either, just keep him in a clean tank for now until the disease is diagnosed.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

You really need to take more effort in this... Get a thermometer and a heater PRONTO! Or at least get a thermometer, the heater might not fit. You shouldn't be adding any other chemicals in the water besides conditioner. The aquarium salt will damage his organs if used more than 10 days. It will also make any disease he might have immune to it. Bloated? Do a 100% change WITHOUT anything else besides the conditioner. No methylene blue, no aquarium salt, no nothing!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #6 
Basement Bettas

Make sure you keep this fish and every thing that comes in contact with him away from the others. Everything needs run thru a bleach solution and rinsed before used on the other fish. Or you are risking their health as well. Unheated water and he is prime candidate for velvet. The blue water is meth blue and not used unless ammonia burns gills. Not to treat parasites. And without knowing water parameters hard to tell if not just poisoned from his own wastes.

In future just use a water conditioner with tap. No need to add salt and the rest. Need to understand your water and make sure nothing goes in it unless you have a good reason.

And what do you mean by injured? Did you buy a sick fish to start?
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 
morganville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Make sure you keep this fish and every thing that comes in contact with him away from the others. Everything needs run thru a bleach solution and rinsed before used on the other fish. Or you are risking their health as well. Unheated water and he is prime candidate for velvet. The blue water is meth blue and not used unless ammonia burns gills. Not to treat parasites. And without knowing water parameters hard to tell if not just poisoned from his own wastes.

In future just use a water conditioner with tap. No need to add salt and the rest. Need to understand your water and make sure nothing goes in it unless you have a good reason.

And what do you mean by injured? Did you buy a sick fish to start?
Ok I will change him into tap with conditioner and buy some supplies

He had a ripped tail fin when I got him (there was a halfmoon piece missing from his back tail fin) But he was otherwise healthy, active, flaring and not sick.

He's just been getting worse and worse since I got him and I'm worried. My other 2 bettas are doing just fine, one I've had for over a year and another I bought at the same time as the sick one.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #8 
lelei

It is soo vitally important to keep up with the water changes, in a 1 gal bowl at least 3x a week at full water changes, then opt for a 2-3 gal size to supoort a heater, as bettas need a stable temp of 77-78 for optimum health..and please do get a thermometer, to watch for temp flucuations, as they occur much quicker in a smaller enviornment. I hope it's not too late for your betta..good luck:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #9 
morganville

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
It is soo vitally important to keep up with the water changes, in a 1 gal bowl at least 3x a week at full water changes, then opt for a 2-3 gal size to supoort a heater, as bettas need a stable temp of 77-78 for optimum health..and please do get a thermometer, to watch for temp flucuations, as they occur much quicker in a smaller enviornment. I hope it's not too late for your betta..good luck:)

He was in a filtered for a while but was moved into a non filtered because he was just getting thrown around by the current in his sick state.

I've been doing frequent water changes and trying to figure out how to treat him.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #10 
lelei

It's best not to have filtered for a tank under 5 gallons..IMO, I have seen too many horror stories of bettas losing fins from current, too strong, but you do need to have a heater, a heater will provide a stable temperature for bettas to thrive..and eliminate sickness, so if you can upgrade to a 3 gal then it would be best=, if you can get a very low wattage heater, for a 1 gal they have the kind that goes under the rocks, like a pad, and they are about 25 watts, and I hear they are ok for 1 gal size..

that would be ok..but to avoid sickness it is better with a 2-3 gal size tank, you will not have to do water changes as often, but will still have to do 1 50% and one 100% but again I would opt not to use a filter, unless you can baffle the current.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote