Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #1 
MrGrumpyFish

Question on Environment?

I am not quite sure this is how I post my question but I shall give it a shot..
My betta has been swimming in one spot. At first I thought he was sick (which he still may be) but as soon as I put a mirror up to him he started to swim around so I figured he was bored.
Well to my question, I read that they like to have a fun environment and I was wondering if it was okay to change his environment every now and then? I changed the light color in his bowl and he seems to have enjoyed it for a little bit but not satisfying enough for him. Should I change his plant every so often? Advice please? (:
MrGrumpyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #2 
Aus

IMO, better to provide an enriched environment from the get-go rather than change things around. This can be as simple as giving my bettas a jungle of silk or live plants to swim about in, or a nice bit of driftwood to lurk under. They don't like feeling exposed, generally, so giving them somewhere to hide can help them feel more secure in swimming about.

I hardly ever change the tank around, but my bettas are always swimming in and out of their plants and wood, so I believe it's less to do with being 'bored' than it is in feeling secure enough to move around (instinct will tell the fish that moving around a lot in open spaces with no hidey spots = greater chance of being eaten by a heron or something).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote