Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #1 
smittypip

Exclamation Battle wounds, fungus, dropsy, bloating? What is it?

We have 1 female betta fish who we bought 4 months ago that lives in a 10 gallon tank with 2 other female betta fish. This betta fish looks to be somewhat bloated but also there is a white patch on her body. It is possible that she might have dropsy? However her scales aren't pineconing. It looks like she got into a fight with my other betta, Pip, as her fins are torn. This hasn't been her first fight so could this have been a result of a previous one, and it looks very serious. Lately she has not been eating very much and has chosen to hide among the many decorations in the tank rather than interacting with the other fish like she used to do before. I know that this can sometimes be the result of a fight but it seems like much more. I've also been away for a week with someone only feeding the fish. Could this possibly be a fungus from a dirty tank? I have since then decided to fully clean the tank out. She's not having a lot of trouble swimming so far.What could I do to help her and what is it?

There is a heater for the tank, but we don't turn it on because the room and water get warm enough with the temperature staying between 25 - 28 degrees Celcius. We also currently have a filter who's cartridge is replaced every month and the water in the tank is replaced twice a month along with a complete aquarium clean, including using a gravel vacuum, adding conditioner, bacteria supplement, and an extremely small dosage of melafix. I'm thinking about putting him in his own container for a while until things get better, or I can figure out what I can do to help.

Please help!!!!!
smittypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Do a 100% water change ASAP.
Melafix WILL KILL HER!! It contains a tree oil that damages the labyrinth organ and kills bettas!
after changing her water can you post a picture? and fill out this form..

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

stress..u dont have enough females in the tank.they create a hierarchy.and with only 3 girls in there.1 of them will be the weakest and get picked on the most.while the other 2 gang up on her..u need atleast 5 girls together.and always have odd numbers.like 5-7-9 etc...for a 10 gallon 5 will be fine.ive seen people have 7 together in a 10 gallon which is always better to have more.or have a few in more space..

for a 10 gallon i had 5 girls in mine.i had 1 that was too aggressive and had to remove her.then got another 1 to put in.and kept the aggressive 1 in a separate tank..there was a little nipping and chasing which is normal.but if they start tearing each other up like that.then u have 1 that too aggressive and needs to be removed.

but ur female is stressed out.she needs to be removed and put somewhere alone to allow her to recover.u can try placing her back in later after she has healed and see how things go.also try re arranging decor in the tank.but u have to remove all the girls,re arrange the decor, then add the least aggressive first to the most aggressive :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

I had melafix before I knew any better and I used it and my betta is fine...I don't think it like murders bettas but it's not good to use a lot with them. Other treatments are safer if used correctly and not to mention other treatments actually work :P
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battle wounds, bloating, dropsy, fungus