Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #1 
Aquabreeze

Exclamation EMERGENCY: Hurricane Evacuation!

Hi- So I know this isn't technically a disease, but it is an emergency. So, I go to a small college in St. Petersburg, Florida, and we're being evacuated in two hours because of the approaching hurricane. Problem is, I bought a male bluegreen/purple betta about a week ago, and I'm not sure what to do. Do I take him with me? Do I keep him here but give him lots of food? I'm already in the process of changing his water, but I really don't know what to do or how to keep him safe while I'm gone.

I have two options here:

1. Find a plastic bag and take him with me. However, I'm worried about the shaking he'd be subjected to in the 2 and 1/2 hour bus ride to the place we're going to stay during the hurricane. His tank doesn't take up too much space (It's only .3, which is WAY too small, I know, but I've been changing his water every couple of days, and it actually helps in this case. But I want to get him a bigger tank as soon as I can, after the hurricane's over, of course.) and I think he'd be okay once there, but I don't know for sure.

2. Leave him here. My biggest worry here is that he might starve. We're going to be gone for about three days, and I'm not sure whether to pour a whole bunch of food on the top of his tank, or what else I'm supposed to do. Do I cover his tank? Where do I put the tank so he'll be safest? We're going to have to unplug everything before we go, including the A/C. What if he overheats?!

So, I need you guys to help me on this. What do you think is the best thing to do here? Do I take him with me or leave him here? And what can I do to make this easiest for him? Any help would be so appreciated. I have to be in our meeting place at noon today (It's 10 am right now) and we leave at one, so I'm very pressed for time. So please, please help!
Aquabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 
MollyJean

A betta can go for a week or two without food, so he won't starve. If you want to leave him there just make sure the light is out, his tank is covered and he's in a secure spot, maybe in a dresser where he won't get moved around if a window breaks or something.

If you want to take him, a bag is a good idea, put him in a cooler or isolated box. Maybe wrap the bag in a towel to keep his temp stable. a 2 hour trip seems like a lot but for a healthy betta you should be fine.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 
registereduser

I'd leave him.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

I cant really answer your question.. but.. are you on the west coast? I dont follow the hurricane on the news, my mom does.. But last she told me the west coast was in the most danger.. Were on the east coast.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 
Aquabreeze

Mollyjean: -nod- If he can survive for a few days without me, then probably leaving him here is the best option. And he'll be okay without the A/C on? (This is Florida, it gets hot as heck around here without A/C.) What do I cover his tank with so he'll be safest?

teeney: We're on the west coast of Florida, yeah. St. Pete's is on the gulf coast, right across from Tampa. And our college is evacuating earlier than the county would. They're just being cautious.

Last edited by Aquabreeze; 08-26-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added message for teeney
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 
MollyJean

Well if you can't cool him properly and are worried he would get too hot, you should put him in a larger container. Small containers heat up much faster. A larger container would spread the heat out and keep him cool enough to survive. Short of that.. I honestly don't know. I know betta can take some heat if it's slowly introduced, but I have no idea what the ambient temperature of the area you are in is right now.

As for a cover, mesh, plastic with a few holes, just whatever you have that will keep him from jumping out and debris from getting in. Tape it on good and make sure he has room to breath.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

I would leave him there...put him in a secure place, and I wouldn't worry about leaving the ac on for him. I live in South Georgia and it is really hot here too...I'm sure his temp won't get that high. None of my fish are in a room with AC. As someone already said, he can go a week without food, and not feeding him right now is probably wise...you won't be able to change his water until you get back. Be safe!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #8 
Aquabreeze

Mollyjean: Hmmm... My meteorology-major friend tells me that the temp should be fine because the hurricane-ish clouds and winds are already starting, so the sun shouldn't be as intense. As for a cover, the best cover I can get is this knit top that I can just wash afterwards. There's plenty of holes, and I was going to stick him in a dresser drawer. Will that work?

Bettanewbie60: Thanks, it helps a lot to know that your bettas don't need A/C. :) I can just stick him in the dresser drawer, I think he'll be okay there. I already fed him this morning (oops) but I changed his water after his breakfast, so hopefully there won't be too much.

Last edited by Aquabreeze; 08-26-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added message for Bettanewbie60
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9 
lelei

If It were me, I would find a way to take him and some food, and a small to med size container, so You would know he is fine.. I can't leave any pets behind..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #10 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabreeze View Post
Mollyjean: Hmmm... My meteorology-major friend tells me that the temp should be fine because the hurricane-ish clouds and winds are already starting, so the sun shouldn't be as intense. As for a cover, the best cover I can get is this knit top that I can just wash afterwards. There's plenty of holes, and I was going to stick him in a dresser drawer. Will that work.
That works for a top. If he might over heat in a dresser, it might be a bad idea. Under the bed? I only say to move him to a secure area because windows might break and wind might blow, you wouldn't want him in the line of fire. If you have a bathroom with no windows, or a closet.. whatever will protect him if the storm gets bad enough to do damage to your room. If you're not worried about that, leave him on the dresser, just keep him covered, you don't want him jumping out cause he's scared of lightening or something.