Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #11 
MollyJean

lelei I think I would too, if it was only one fish, but the trip might be stressful.

In the end, it's up to you, Aquabreeze, to decide what is right for the fish. You know him, his temperament and his environment better then we do. I hope he comes out safe.. I hope you both come out safe.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 
lelei

This brings up a good point, because fall, and winter is comeing,, and I was thinking of it when I was replying, how would I manage, if I had to do it, especially with 5 fish, take em all, pick and choose, yes with one, I would def do it..but wow.. depending on where you would be sheltered regarding noise, and commotion, and proper way to taking care of water changes..it's a tough decision..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 
lelei

If you do take him dont forget the heater, and water conditioner..Good luck, and well wishes for both of you:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #14 
Pogthefish

JUST LOST ALL MY THING GOTTA START OVER >:(

OK so If it were me in that situation, I would pick out 1 or 2 favorite fish, and bring them, and put the rest in bowls in the basement.

Now, how to travel with your fish: find a tupperware container with an air-tight lid, and put fresh, ammonia free water from the tap (use conditioner) and put the fish in, and put the lid on. Take the lid off periodically to allow him to breathe. Really once or twice a day is fine. they are low-oxygen fish, and just blow into it to get the c02 out and the oxygen in, and close it again. Keep it with you at all times (I usually put it between my legs to keep warm)

Pack: food, water conditioner
Optional: larger container to put fish in when you arrive at your destination, decorations to make betta feel safe
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #15 
MollyJean

I wouldn't be able to do anything.. all of mine are in larger tanks, so I can't just pick one up and go.. I have a husband, brother and daughter to think of first, then 3 cats and a dog. With 16 adult bettas.. not counting the baby bettas, which I get to 50 before I loose count, All I could really do is cross my fingers. Thankfully the house I live in is almost 100 years old and all but impervious to fire. We do get tornadoes here sometimes but nothing I've had to leave the house to avoid.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #16 
ebettalover963

If it were me I'd put him in a closet (if you have one) but if you don't I'd put him in a like a padded box. (don't worry about the food thing mine went like three weeks with like 3 days in between because of tournements and fair)
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Gosh I dont know..I guess if it were me and since I only have one fish I would take him with me along with his food, conditioner and any small decoration he likes or small fake plant. Good luck and I hope you both stay safe !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #18 
Jully

I go would go with option one, if you have a small plastic cup with a lid and put small holes in it, scoop of his old tank water and then put food in your pocket, fill the water enough for the betta. I wouldn't take the chances because if the hurricane hits or something bad happens he will die, bring him with you. Trust me, take him with you, if you put him in a bag it'll be okay, just try to keep it steady when I first bought my bettas they were in a bag, and we had to go down a bumpy hill and a bumpy road, but I kept it steady and my betta was fine, again they are hardy fish. I am sure he will survive the trip, so bring him :P

Also, since you only have one fish I am sure he will make the trip. It shouldn't be hard, what I would do is get 1 plastic grocery bag, and a zip lock bag which you can slide and open and an extra zip lock bag just in case something happens, I would put him in the ziplock bag, make sure it's closed and secure then put it in the grocery bag, take a towel and wrap it around the bag. Then put whatever you need like his food, and a heater or something you need in, then be off. A good thing with the zip-lock bag is if you stop you can unzip it and give him some air then close it.

Another way I would recommend if you have any small containers with a lid, just put him in that make sure you do it half water, then the rest is air and a lid so the water doesn't splash out and he can breath. Make sure there is enough of his water, then put his container in a small box, like a shipping box just fill it with newspaper or something soft and put him in the middle make sure it's dark, if the box is dark he wont stress :P If you are worrying about breathing difficulties then punch holes in the box. on the top, a small box will do.

Good luck, I wouldn't want to risk the little fellas life, anything can happened, and a lot of damage could happen so I say bring him :P

Last edited by Jully; 08-26-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Just saw on the news, the hurricane is way off the coast, not gonna hit us.
We're defenitely getting the rain and winds though, huh? O.o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #20 
Jully

Last thing I would like to mention, fill a water bottle with his tank water just in-case something happens he has extra water :P
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote