Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 
MollyJean

Fins too big. Solution?

I have one little boy, Robin, who's fins are way way too big for his body. It seems no matter how much I feed him, he's not getting any larger, but his fins keep growing. I had gotten him from MoonShadow in June and he had some serious fin problems, they had been rotted or bit down to a stump. Now his fins are healing, and he's growing, but I think he has too much fin. He's slowed down a lot and is always on either his leaf or above the heater, he has to really struggle to swim through the water.. it's so sad. His whole body wiggles more then I have ever seen a healthy fish wiggle.

I'm to a point I will take drastic measures to make his life a little easier.

So I need to know if there is a way to trim a betta's fins without hurting them.

If shorter fins will make it easier for Robin to move around, so be it. I have called my local vet, whom I take all my cats and dog to, but he doesn't deal with fish, so he was no help. Please, someone give me something? I've got the poor boy in a 1 gallon container that's very shallow to help him rest more, but I can't heat it properly, so I have that inside a 5 gallon bucket full of water and a heater (it's ugly)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 
lelei

What kind of tail, VT? or HM?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #3 
MollyJean

He would be a halfmoon, he's got a 180 spread when flaring, but I think he is a feather.. what else are they called?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 
lelei

Sounds like my SAmmy , that is why I asked, Rose tail, or HM DT's DElta tails, and I have noticed sometimes Sammy has troubles, but not enough to stop him from swimming, he does need to push harder tho, so I was wondring about that..his fins are growin very lengthy..beautiful but loooongg..
Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
MollyJean

Yeah, Robin is very pretty, but I can't stand seeing him struggle so much just to come see me in the morning. Breaks my heart.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 
lelei

Sometimes they may take it upon themselves to do the trimming..but if not..I think he'll be fine..can you post pic, or vid?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 
MollyJean

This is a few weeks old. As you can see he has a lot of regrowth on his tail, and that's gotten longer. As has everything else. But he has such a tiny body and it seems like no matter what I do he won't keep on any weight.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

He's gorgeous! From what I see, he looks fine, my HM's tail is longer, and he doesn't seem to have many issues. He doesn't have a filter added yet, he had fin rot, and his tail hasn't finished growing yet... xD
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 
lelei

It's the anal fin..Sammy has the same length..and when he comes up for air, food, he really pushes thru the water, but he moves fast..
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #10 
MollyJean

Do you see how the regrowth on the tail overlaps it'self? It's really heavy right at the point of regrowth, you can see the base of his tail is normal. All that extra fin hanging off makes it hard for him to move. It's like he's dragging a whole set of velvet curtains behind him.