Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

Unhappy my male is lethargic and acting weird

yesterday my male was just fine..now he sits at the bottom with his fins opened.he was actually leaning to the side on his right pectoral fin.all his fins are spread out so he isnt clamped.no signs of any damage though several days he had an incident where he jumped out his tank and my hands several time landing on carpet and a shoe box.but that was about 3 or 4 days ago and he was fine up until today..

it looks like he might be a little over fed but no signs of swim bladder disease.he will not eat today either.so today will be his fasting day.i move the cup i put him in for now,he will move around a little.

his scales are fin.everything looks fine other than his odd behavior today..

rite now i house him in a 1 gallon temp tank until i set up the other tanks the way i want.doing so re arranging..

not heated,not filtered.

fake plant that i leave floating and some small little decor.

water changes about every other day 100%

i feed him FD Bloodworms.and sometimes betta flakes if they are on my finger from feeding other fish.

he did loose a lot of finage due to my rosy reds in my 10 gallon i had him in for about a week.but that was 2 weeks ago almost.

any ideas?i havent treated him for anything bcuz i dont know what it is.he is in a betta cup rite now to make it easier for him to get to the surface and me keep an eye on him..
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #2 
tpocicat

How warm is the water? To me the symptoms seem to be from cold.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
TheCheese909

Are you sure he wasn't just resting? My boy Psych is a HM and he likes to sit at the bottom with his fins all spread out and since he's got such large finnage he sometimes leans over.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

the temp is between 76-79..my apartment doesnt get very cool this time of year..

he is still at the bottom.just sitting there.put a piece of food in.never touched it.fin still open.abdomen is swollen as if he is over feed.but when i think bout it.i dont feed him enough to really be over feed...though i havent seen any waste..im starting to think maybe a blockage..he has been in the keeper cup for about 24 hours.

he swims around at the bottom sometimes as if he wants something new to see or just wants to arrange himself again.

i dont have any epsom salt.i do have AQ salt.i thought of disolving some,putting him back in the 1 gallon hospital tank.and putting the salt in there.but was waiting to see if any changes would happen if i didnt feed him for 24 hours.

still the only symptoms i see is a bloated abdomen and he is lethargic for the most part.and not eating or producing waste.

color,fins(other than what was torn off from my fish),scales,everything else looks fine.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 
kirby13580

If you can, you can make it hotter. Try that out!
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

im actually not able to adjust the temp.my window unit its turned off and the only a/c running i the apartment.which is not good.even with it running of high the temp gets no lower than 80 during the summer in here.my dad wont let it stay off too long.

he and 1 of my girls have been fine without a heater for a while.i actually had the door closed last night and kept it around 78 in here.my dad thinks he is constipated..

he has no waste at all in that cup for 24 hours.yet he is bloated.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 
kirby13580

any pics???
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 
tpocicat

If he is bloated, you might try Epsom salt or fast him.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Sometimes the slime coat can be damage and this will allow pathogens to infect him...i would start aquarium salt 1 tsp/gall. And if you have stress coat you can add it in. Stress coat will replenish his slime coat.

Pre mix 1tsp/gall of the aq salt in one gall jug for the right dosage. Do daily 100% water changes. Use for 10 days.

Also keep eye on him and make sure he is not bloated since you mentioned that you might overfeed him. Because if this is the reason, then you don't need aq salt. But again usually if his behavior due to that ,then he would be bloated.

EDIT: tpocicat didn't see your post. Yes if he is bloated then Epsom salt :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

they arent clear..my phone doesnt have focus on it.
Attached Images