Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #11 
kirby13580

looked like mine... he was too cold and died. this is trial and error...
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12 
prodrumernate

anything other than epsom salt that can be used that is equivalent?i think he is constipated or has a blockage of some sort.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

I don't think it anything other then epsom salt you can use.Epsom salt usually you can find in any pharmacy (in my town), not at pet store. But if you really think he is constipated and don't have epsom salt then fasting can help. Also people on the forum recommending frozen daphnia. It you have access to it. I think you can buy it in the pet store it will help to clean out the digestive system ....

It difficult to say if he is bloated. May be a little bit ? And if you saying he swims on one side then it might be it, not sure.

Epsom salt usually helps with problem like that though + frozen dalphia really good.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #14 
prodrumernate

im down to my last dollar.its all in pennies.my job has not called me to start working so unfortunately no income and no1 to borrow money from.its y im asking for an alternative...

he swims normal.but is leaning on his side when sitting at the bottom..he hasnt ate anything since the day before yesterday.he swims around for a short period,mostly to go up and get air.then kinda looks around and lounges again.

i want to try to go to the store.but its too hot..i have to walk and the only store i can afford the salt at is dollar tree which is a mile away.ill have to try to go tonight and see if i can get any..i dont know if another store here biglots sells epsom salt and how much it is.its closer to me.but too hot to walk over there and not have it or cant afford it.i looked on the website and seen nothing.but had that happen before.my phone is shut off as well..hmmm
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #15 
MSG

E Salts are $.50/lb

Just have to look around when it comes to E Salt. Any major city in the US has a DT store.

My male does the same thing. His belly was larger than yours & I relocated him to the guppy tank & stopped feeding him pellets.

Since he doesn't swim around much, I don't feed him pellets. Since I switched his diet, his belly is nice and slim.

Also you should do 1/2 sized tests on your tank water every couple days.

I haven't done ANY water changes/siphoning to my tanks for I believe 2 weeks now and the ammonia, nitrites, etc... are all 0.

There's also NOTHING in the 1.5G tank other than 1 betta who's super aggressive.

I plan on some water changes & siphoning before Friday, but the tests are telling me 0.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #16 
prodrumernate

he is in a 1 gallon..i change his water frequently..

i have 1 of my girls in a 2 gallon.she is very aggressive and separated her.but she loves it in there.then i have another female in a 20 gallon hex by herself.

my male was in my 10 gallon but the rosy reds in there nipped his fins pretty badly.he has been in the 1 gallon for a while where he was before.once im working i plan on getting another 10 gallon and will divide it for the females and then put the male in the 20 gallon hopefully.

my 10 gallon has 0 ammonia and ntirite as of a test done yesterday,and 5 nitrate...its been like that sicne the end of the cycle the first week of this month.it now houses 4 rosy red minnows,2 mystery snails and 2 otos.i have major algae.the snail have done a great job but there is still plenty to go around. :)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

He is bloated. Don't feed him for two days and see if he gets better.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #18 
prodrumernate

i shall do that and see what happens.i know i still need to get the E salt no matter what and have it on hand.ill see how he feels tomorrow
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

i can mail your $5 in the envelope for the salt. But i am getting confused if he is lethargic because he has infection since he jumped out a few times and now you saying that his fins are nipped or he is bloated and that is the problem. But epsom salt also has antibacterial effect though.

I am wondering if it possible to mix aq salt and epsom salt. I think i read it before that you can. Any one has idea?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #20 
MSG

No, everything I've heard is DON'T use E & AQ salt at the same time.

Check the forums. Revise your search. I just bought a 2lb box of E salt and I've going to use it on myself FIRST.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote