Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 
goshinkansen

Ack Ammonia in the tap water

I think I may be obsessed with ammonia levels but I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

I tested my tap water last night after our ammonia levels were around .25-.5ppm after a 100% water change in our tank. Turns out our water supply has ammonia in it. So, some folks on the boards suggested I get Prime conditioner since it also cuts ammonia out of tap water

Even with the Prime, I can't get the ammonia level down to 0 in a fish-less tank (we upgraded to a 5 gallon tank today so I had some time to play with this). I put 5x the amt recommended as per the ER instructions and the ammonia is still around .25ppm. I think I shouldn't put anymore in.

I confirmed that my kit works by putting tap water in the test tube plus a couple of drops of Prime directly in the tube. That came up zero. All the other levels in the water came up normal.

Should I keep trying to get the ammonia levels down? Can you OD on Prime conditioner? Not sure what to do. We've had the fish a week today, and he's so far OK in this water. He seems happy and active and he even made a bubble nest a few days ago.
goshinkansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 
LizzyP

I would use spring water, not distilled, but spring. Slightest amounts of ammonia will permanently harm your fish, even in low amounts. It's like, smoking one cigarette or breathing in low amounts of carbon monoxide. It won't kill you right away, but it will hurt you over time.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote