Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1 
labloverl

What's up with his tail?

Yesterday I noticed that his tail was a bit tattered, but it looked like there were clear places between the rips as if the tail was growing back. Then later that night I saw that it looked like this. The big chunk missing was not there earlier that day. Did he bite it, or rip it? It's not fin rot is it? The only thing that could be sharp is the craft mesh tube, but I have checked it and cut the sharp edges off... there may be a tiny area snagging his tail, but I can fix that if this could be it. He's in a 10 gallon divided 3 ways, and it gets a weekly 50% water change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnIpoHjZEE
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

That doesnt look like it could rip his fins. How long have you had him ? Maybe he is biting his tail I guess it would be hard to know unless you have seen him do it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 
labloverl

I've had him 2 weeks today.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
megaredize

it looks like tail biting to me. keep the water really clean and you can add extra stress coat to help with healing but usually when you have a biter he will always bite. you might need to add more silk plants or real to his tank. sometimes it is stress that causes the biting.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Is there a fish right on the other side of the divider?
If so, that could be your problem.

My boys have 2 dividers with 2 inches inbetween to reduce them seeing each other to a minimum.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 
labloverl

I definitely will be adding more plants to the tank! And yes there is another fish beside him, but I never see them flare at eachother. The tank is divided 3 ways and I originally had him in the middle section, but he and another male kept flaring at eachother. Since I moved him, he hasn't been flaring at his new neighbor. Will the weekly 50% water change be enough to keep the water clean enough? It's a cycled 10 gallon.