Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #91 
Schwielala

Thanks guys. Blue guy is still okay. He doesn't seem to have cobweb strings anymore but he's still clamped. He's swimming around though and still has a healthy appetite. I have him in the API Fungus Cure so I'm hoping for a recovery from him at least.

Tank two which was sick the week before this has been great. Dark blue guy has really bloomed. His fins are huge and pretty and his color is really dark with different shades of blue on his fins. Little red guy hasn't been floaty again either!

Last edited by Schwielala; 09-07-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #92 
lelei

Wow..Applause to all your hard work I just caught up with this thread..you are doing a fantastic job with your rescues..Very sorry for your loss:(
I hope the other ones being treated come through..I will be sending well fishy wishes your way!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #93 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry about your loss, Schwiela.

I second Aokashi, avoid copper. It's a potent med and hard to control. Once you use it, you have to either tear down the tanks COMPLETELY to get rid of the remaining copper or get a copper monitoring kit to make sure you're getting it all out.

BasementBettas on here has recommended Aquari-Sol, I think. I would try to avoid the Maracyn medicines as they are not that effective.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #94 
Schwielala

I think Blue guy has made some progress today. He's still swimming, eating, and curious, but his fins are still clamped up. They look like they were dipped in paste and got stuck together and look brittle or rigid like they're plastic. Here's a horrible quality video but you can kind of see how his fins are moving, especially at 29-40 seconds. The water is green from the fungus medicine.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0633.mp4

Here's how he's looking.

This was the best I could get with a flash to check for velvet. In a way he had a shine to him with light on him, but I haven't come across an actual picture of velvet to really know what it looks like. The camera flash I think exaggerated the color in the picture anyway.

And this was the best I could get (my phone doesn't seem to like the green water, it doesn't want to focus) to figure out if his eyes are bulgy. They aren't cloudy at all.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #95 
ao
TFK Moderator

velvet isnt common and often misdiagnosed :) and bettas have natural iridescence, so I believe that isnt what he has.
he could be clamping from the mediaction. see how he does when the treatment is over...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #96 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry for your lose, your doing a great job happy to hear Blue guy is doing better.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #97 
teeneythebetta

Aww what a cutie :) I'm glad he's doing better!
I see you got a via aqua heater- is it working well? :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #98 
Schwielala

Yeah, one of you guys recommended the brand of heaters (I'd have to look back and check the username, or was it you? >_<) and they seem to be working well. The temperature is pretty stable. Sometimes I make slight adjustments depending on the room temp. It's a little apartment with window air conditioners so sometimes it's hot and sometimes it's cooler. No matter what, it seems like it takes a while for the temperature to raise or lower at any time which is good.

Aokashi, he has been clamped for half of the week at least since him and Red (RIP) started getting sick. Their fins both looked like brittle plastic, glued shut at the tips. Then after that was when I realized there was cobweb looking stuff hanging off of them too. Then Red got worse and didn't make it as we know. I couldn't see the cobweb stuff on Blue anymore yesterday even before I put him in the medicine. I still don't see it today, he's just clamped. It looks like he can't spread them even if he wanted to.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #99 
ao
TFK Moderator

it just means he unconfortable about...something. give it a day or two. if he's improving in behaviour, then likely he will eventually unclamp himself.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #100 
Sakura8

Velvet is definitely one of the most misdiagnosed external parasite diseases but trust me, once you've seen it for real you'll never mistake it. The flecks are very noticeable. Some say the betta looks like he's been dipped in gold dust but to me, velvet looks more like he's been rolled in cornflour crumbs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote