Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #31 
Schwielala

I did the half water change last night without aging the water, so far everyone seems fine!

I also just went to Petsmart and got the Hikari frozen cubes of Daphnia. How exactly do I feed it though? The cubes seem pretty big, do I thaw it in tank water, then cut it into itty bitty pieces? If it's too much for "Mr. Floaty", should I give them all some as a treat?

Edit: Well I found out that the cube breaks apart into itty bitty pieces anyway, so I just don't know how many bitty Daphnia pieces each should get.

Aokashi, that would be awesome, but I don't think I could come by to pick it up. I'm in South Jersey and it takes about 2 1/2-3 hours to get to NYC and I don't know my way around the rest of NY. Plus, my mom already thinks I'm going crazy with these fishies lol. But if there are things that you could mail, then I'd be glad to have them. I guess I would pay shipping through paypal?

Last edited by Schwielala; 08-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #32 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD I thought u weren't coming back :P

I can send you... airpump, sponge filter, fish food, Prime (in a stress coat bottle) and IAL :)

A medium flat rate box is about $11.50 i think or parcel post for $5.20.

I'll check my other filter to see if it still works. might be too small though

edit: great news. I just managed to stuff everything into a small priority box! Shipping will be $5.50!

Last edited by ao; 08-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #33 
Schwielala

Fishy updates:

Floaty red finally came back down and has been active at times and lethargic at others. I got heaters yesterday and when I put it in the tank he was all over it checking it out! He's also been eating.

His tankmate, however, has just broken out with what looks like fungus. He's got white patches on one side (doesn't look like salt spots/ick). I'm wondering if the higher water temp allowed the fungus to grow overnight. I read the disease section here and turned the water temp back down to 76F. I'm also going to use aquarium salt and water changes. Should I leave out the gravel and (plastic) plants while treating?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #34 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
XD I thought u weren't coming back :P

I can send you... airpump, sponge filter, fish food, Prime (in a stress coat bottle) and IAL :)

A medium flat rate box is about $11.50 i think or parcel post for $5.20.

I'll check my other filter to see if it still works. might be too small though

edit: great news. I just managed to stuff everything into a small priority box! Shipping will be $5.50!
You are so awesome!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #35 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwielala View Post
Fishy updates:

Floaty red finally came back down and has been active at times and lethargic at others. I got heaters yesterday and when I put it in the tank he was all over it checking it out! He's also been eating.

His tankmate, however, has just broken out with what looks like fungus. He's got white patches on one side (doesn't look like salt spots/ick). I'm wondering if the higher water temp allowed the fungus to grow overnight. I read the disease section here and turned the water temp back down to 76F. I'm also going to use aquarium salt and water changes. Should I leave out the gravel and (plastic) plants while treating?
Hmmm this sounds like a job for OldFishLady or sakura8

Imma send them a pm with a link to this thread.

Might be columnaris fungus.

Last edited by BettaQi; 09-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #36 
Schwielala

Yeah he's not looking so good, he looks like a rotten fruit.

And he's normally been a dark blue color, not the reddish he seems now. :(

I think I'll go move over to the disease section.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #37 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh dear. did the stuff arrive yet?
For now I suggest a quaratine in aquarium salt for the poor fellow. 1tsp/gallon. predissolved in conditioned water before you pour it in.

I believe the best med would be furan-2. Ive hear of others, but can't name them off the top of my head :(

Last edited by ao; 09-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #38 
Sakura8

Hi Schwielala and welcome to the forum.

I kinda skimmed through the first 4 pages but from what I understand, you have 4 bettas and two of them were acting a bit off. The one who was lethargic has started to show more activity which could be due to the new heaters but the red fellow looks . . . well, to be honest, pretty bad.

Since we have no real way of knowing how the bettas were even kept before the wedding, it's highly possible he had ammonia poisoning and a few other issues by the time you got him. If it's possible, try to put him into a QT tank/container. It can even be a big mixing bowl or a Rubbermaid bin. Just something to keep him away from his tankmate.

Aokashi is correct, 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, predissolved in a bit of tank water, would be the best step at this point. The white stuff we're seeing could be any number of things but the most likely culprits are: excess slime coat from stress, saprolegnia (a true fungus), or columnaris which resembles a fungus but is a bacteria. AQ salt will help treat all 3. API Furan-2 is a good antibiotic but I'm reluctant to suggest it right now because I hate to see you spend more money on a med that may be too late. :(

I don't want to get your hopes up though. Once they start laying on the bottom like that, things generally don't turn out well. :( But you are a great person for rescuing them and for giving them a good and loving home and this guy, if he does pass, at least will pass in clean water with someone who cares.

Regarding your pH etc. You are correct: don't mess with it using uppers/downers. If you need to lower your pH, a more stable means of doing it is using Indian Almond Leaf. I'd be happy to send you some, as would many other members so all you need to do is ask. Otherwise, those chemicals tend to just make the pH fluctuate all over the map and that's even more stressful. These bettas of ours are more hardy in regards to pH than wild bettas and they can tolerate most levels. As long as your pH isn't like 9.0, you're fine.

Filtering divided tanks can be hard. If you use a hang on the back power filter, it usually on filters one side. My suggestion is to get two sponge filters, one for each side, and an airpump with a gange valve. That way, both sides get filtered and water current and you only need one plug. You can also use box filters like Penn Plax The Bubbler or Lee's Corner Filters, anything that runs off an airpump.

Let us know how the other bettas are doing and if you need any more help.

Oh! Frozen daphnia. Best method of feeding is to use an eyedropper or your finger tip to put a bit in the water near the betta in question. It's hard stuff to feed, as you're discovering. :P
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #39 
Schwielala

Aokashi, your things haven't arrived yet :(

Thanks for the help, I just did a full water change and put it new water, mixed in 1tsp per gallon aquarium salt and conditioner. They are both still in the tank right now because I really can't think of anything else I have. The Tupperware I have has all be used and washed with soap multiple times. I might have some yucky cobweb happy buckets in the garage, don't know if that could cause more sickness.

And actually, that's the sad thing is the sick guy has been dark navy blue up until today, now he looks red. While doing the water change he still had some spunk in him, and I actually can't see white spots anymore (so confusing @_@), now he just looks extremely pale and his fins are almost see-through.

"Ex-Floaty"/"Little red" (I really need to name these guys) pictured below has had ups and downs activity-wise. The only thing I can see on him is a shiny spot behind his gills. It doesn't look fuzzy, it looks like a shiny white scale.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #40 
ao
TFK Moderator

D: I shipped it priority thursday night T_T unless there's no saturday mail at your house? I'm worried :(