Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #81 
Schwielala

I can go home today to get it, but it will be a couple hours so I didn't know if it would be more important to get fungal medicine nearby asap than to go home for it.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #82 
ao
TFK Moderator

Fungal meds first :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #83 
MSG

Gees.... I should have treated the leaves like tea. Results would have been much better.

Glancing over at the now, it looks like they're having fun playing in the leaves.

Don't get the anti-fungal medicated foods. My fish HATE that stuff. You're going to have to use the stuff that you add to the water.

• I would suggest trying to treat them in a smaller than 10 gallon tank. Makes clean up & medicating a lot easier.
  • When a fish is ill, they don't usually move around much since they're trying to conserve their energy to fight off whatever is ailing them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #84 
ao
TFK Moderator

Could you recommend some brands? I'm at a loss and really only know furan-2, maracyn and maracide (parasites)

edit: and i do find the leaves to seep tannins much faster as opposed to using whole leaves. the more pieces you can rip them into, the darker the water

Last edited by ao; 09-07-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #85 
MSG

• I don't usually treat my fish for hardcore diseases. The last one was when Akoya developed a slight pop-eye condition and I fed him medicated fish flakes. He HATED that stuff.
  • The worst was when I tried to feed him the Jungle parasite pellets. He spit them out 50 times and I removed after the swollen medicated pellet few hours.

I have a 4oz bottle of .....Aquari-Sol Freshwater Aquarium Treatment - on the bottle it says it also treats for fungus.

• From Jason P on Bad-oleAnswers.com. he doesn't mention using it for fungus at all so I don't know.

"
If I recall correctly, aquari-sol is chelated copper salts... it's marked as the "safe" copper treatment.

The problem is it's chelated... while chelated copper is less toxic to fish, it's also less toxic to parasites and invertebrates.

Another issue with using copper is water alkalinity. While it effects most ich medications, it really alters how copper works. Copper is MUCH more toxic in water with low alkalinity than it is in water with high alkalinity.

It wouldn't be my preferred treatment for a heavy ich infestation.

What I would do is this: Add a bit of salt. Not only does this help kill ich, it will also help replace lost electrolytes due to ich. Ich feed on the body fluids of fish... this causes a loss of electrolytes.

Second I would use a malachite green based treatment. Half dose if you have sensitive fish. Malachite green is much more effective than aquari-sol will be. Avoid the organic stuff... while it works for minor to moderate outbreaks, anything that's killing your fish I would call severe. In my experience, the best chemical medication for severe ich outbreaks is malachite green."
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #86 
ao
TFK Moderator

would avoid copper if possible :/
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #87 
Schwielala

Well I just got home with the API Fungus Cure but it looks like I'm too late. Red didn't make it. It really sucks cause he was kind of my favorite.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #88 
ao
TFK Moderator

ugh, I'm so sorry for your loss :/ I would treat all the others anyway...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #89 
teeneythebetta

Oh no im so sorry for your loss! at least he passed in the care of a loving owner :,)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #90 
BettaQi

Oh schwielala! Condolences to you!

You are working so hard! Thank you for putting forth all this effort!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote