Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 
Bettafish

1000 ways to die

Okay. SO i have tried everything people on the forums have come up with and my betta is still not getting better :/ his infection did a little but now some of his fins are litterally disapearing and changing bright white/pearl.

So i have figured i want to put him out of missery :(

is there any way to switly put him out of missery? I dont know if vets do it or not.

I dont want to give up but hes turning into my dog tarzan. No mater what you try or how much money your spend hes still in pain and i just want him to pass on. Be out of pain and be happy :(.
Im sorry if none of you agree with my decision but i think its for the best.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 
Bettafish

Its just so hard to give up on him though :/ This is too hard of a decision.
Maybe a few more days...
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 
weaver72

To allow anyhting we love to live in pain just to have them is selfish,no I believe you are being unselfish!I will say a pray for the little guy.I can see that you truly love him!
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 
Bettafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver72 View Post
To allow anyhting we love to live in pain just to have them is selfish,no I believe you are being unselfish!I will say a pray for the little guy.I can see that you truly love him!
Thank you for understanding. Most of my friends cant believe id be sorry for him. They see him as just a fish.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 
pyro fiend

im verry sorry about your betta. i believe the only way to humainly put down a fish is by the freezer. just a ziplock or cup id think. this is how even vets put down things like baby rabits. and rats. with bettas being so hardy and a fish. ii dont think you could gas them and the only other way excluding the toilet. would be let him dry out.. which would be agonizing in my eyes..
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

I am so sorry you are going through this, but I agree with the other poster that this is an unselfish act. I have heard that clove oil will "put them to sleep", but I have never used it. I hope you get an answer and you are both out of misery. Hugs
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Euthanizing a pet is never easy. I've had to do it more than I care and has torn me up each time. But I just can't stand to see my pets suffer. I understand your choice.

I've researched fish euthanasia before as fish are some of the pets I've had to make that call for. Clove oil or Finquel are the most humane methods. They are sedatives that you overdose the fish on. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus...euthanasia.htm This article explores different methods and gives them a humane rating. Clove oil ranks very very high. Because it is an oil I also like to add a few drops of ethanol to allow it to mix with water better.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #8 
Bettafish

If i did decide to use clove oil. how can i get it and how do you do it?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #9 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If i did decide to use clove oil. how can i get it and how do you do it?
Got mine at a grocery store but would think a drug store would carry it. Put one drop of clove oil in a small cup of treated water. Add the fish to a small bowl with some of his water. Then add one drop of the diluted clove oil to the bowl at a time. Wait 5 minutes between drops. It will take a bit but in time he will roll over on his side. If you add a drop of straight clove oil to his bowl of water he will convulse when it hits his gills. I don't like seeing that so imagine him being your pet you will not want to see that either. Once rolled over and breathing slow you can add more of the clove oil till hardle breathing. Some add vodka to finish off. I freeze.

It won't be fun but you are ending the suffering. Sorry for the loss.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #10 
Aus

Can I ask what it is that you have tried, and hasn't worked?

I do understand not wanting him to suffer, but maybe there's something you haven't tried yet?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote