Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 
Laki

Oliver my cat-dog

So, I've been doing some basic training with Oliver. He will give his paw and stand up now without a problem. He is learning "find" in which I hide a treat in my hand and he has to guess which one. He's getting better at it but I need Matt here so we can use 4 hands. ANyway, here is Oliver and his 2 basics.
(don't mind my appearance!! just woke up and he was so hungry and all over me begging for food I knew it would be a good time to video his tricks.)

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=8bb818ac.mp4

**proud momma of a rescued cat!

Last edited by Laki; 08-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 
tpocicat

That's great! It proves cats are smart. You just have to figure what they want in order to get them to do what you want.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 
Sakura8

I love Oliver! He's so adorable! What a smart, smart cat!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

That is awesome! I had a cat that used to fetch lol..I'd throw a milk bottle cap and he would bring it back every time..sometimes HE would bring a cap to me so that I would throw it!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 
Laki

Thanks guys :)
It's true, training cats requires recognizing what THEY want to learn and going with that! lol
Oliver would never play fetch, he does take his fetched toys back to the blanket if its on the floor.. And I can't teach him to fetch with treats!! lol
He comes when called only because he think s he's getting something (so I usually pick him up or scratch his cheeks when he comes) And he talks back a lot! haha

Feel free to post videos or pics of your cats doing cute things. Sakura, I saw your cat sitting up tall for a treat, he looks like the cat from Shrek. (not in color or anything- just puts on his sad face) you could share that again!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Awww its always awesome to see cats doing what some call "dog things"
It is a common misconception that cats are not intelligent. Cats are geared more towards survival than dogs. Cats are much better at surviving without people than a dog would...

Both my cats know sit, but one knows "high five" it's so cute. (:
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
It proves cats are smart.
No proof needed, they are wicked smaht! Oliver is also beautiful, I love classic tabbies.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Laki, I love Oliver's give paw trick. That's so adorable and he knows it so well! I taught my one cat Frankie how to "ask" for his food dish by reaching up and pawing it down to his level. I tried to teach him how to ask for treats like you did with Oliver but it amounted mostly to Frankie clawing my hand. o.O

Here's my boy Rizdee that Laki mentioned. He pops up like a meerkat any time you walk by with something in your hands, thinking he's going to get a treat. Sometimes he stays sitting like that and won't move out of the way. He's such a pudgy boy now.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...izeesTrick.mp4
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 
Laki

People let cats get away with a lot more. The way I see it, a trained cat or dog is a happy cat/dog. They need something which gives them something to think about. Otherwise, they get destructive. Like, cats who jump on the counters will NEVER stop so you have to find a distraction. When they start to do something bad, get the clicker and start training.
I know with Ollie and my sister's cat Illusion, when I lived with him, they do bad things for attention. They just want your attention. Just like dogs.
I love dogs more than cats because I like the friendship you get, Oliver loves me because I feed him. If the door was open he would run.
lol that's how I see it, anyway. Maybe that's hindering our relationship. I think I give him a happy stimulated home <3

Thanks Sakura! I love classic tabbies too!! I always had striped tabbies growing up, Oliver is my first classic <3<3<3
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Aha once when we werent home our pantry was left open and apparently while we were gone, Patrick decided to climb the pantry shelves and drag a bag of beef jerky about 15 feet down the hallway to chew it up.

NAUGHTY KITTY! Lol
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote