Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 
cluuluu

Question Betta fish gill problem

Hi,

While siphoning my tank for a water change a piece of java fern root, half an inch long, swirled around the tank because of the moving water.

My betta fish, thinking it was food, ate the java fern root but he could not swallow it. He gasped his mouth wide open, flared his gills, and tried desperately to spit the root back out. He couldn't do it and somehow the root seemed to have gone down the wrong way because it entered his gill. Now, he has a piece of java fern root lodged into his left gill. When he flares, it is visible and it sticks right out with his gill.

He doesn't seemed bothered by it and neither is he panting. What should I do?
cluuluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 
lelei

Oh boy..that is a tough one, I am not sure about this..it may dislodge on its own, but if it stops him from eating, or if he is having a hard time breathing, I would try a small hospital tank, and maybe a little stress coat..idk..I would also PM OFL (old fish lady) for her advice..never encountered this typeof situation..sorry..I hope he is gonna be ok..)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 
cluuluu

I very much hope he could dislodge it himself somehow. So far his behavior hasn't changed though I hope it doesn't change. Thanks for the help! I will PM OFL.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #4 
MSG

If it's a root that's in there, you will have to remove it yourself with a nice set of precision tweezers. Those JF roots usually don't dissolve.

Bettas are very tough fishies so he might get a little scrape from removal, but he'll heal up.

I recommend doing this in a smaller container with lower water level so mr betta can't run away.

But see what OFL has to say.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 
cluuluu

Thanks for your help, Leilei and MSG! I managed, after MSG's advice, to remove the root with tweezers. You're right, his anal fin tip did tatter up a bit. I'll be keeping an eye on him!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #6 
lelei

You got it out!! Wow, you are courageous...Congrats, that is wonderful, wow..hope he heals quickly:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote