Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #1 
Seki

Question Baffling with a sponge?

I know I saw a thread on here where someone said they had baffled their filter outflow with a sponge. If you are that person, can you please post here how you did it? I need to get my filter baffled; Zen can't even come up to the surface to eat right now because he gets thrown around so much by the filter. I am leery about the water bottle method, though, because I am afraid it could end up having sharp edges and tear his beautiful fins.

If you know how to baffle with a sponge... please help me out! Thanks in advance!
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
inuudo

Was it me? I posted this shortly after I got Fluffy's tank set up.

I've changed the set up a little bit since I posted that. In the photo of the outflow, there is one long, narrow sponge that snugs up against the side of the tank under the spouts. Now, I have created a double width of that sponge (cut one sponge in half lengthwise and sandwiched them together with elastic bands) and have them hooked onto the filter housing with plastic twist ties. I found that the single layer of sponge was easily dislodged and was a titch too narrow to fully baffle the outflow.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 
inuudo

Here are a couple of photos of the current setup -- sorry for the blurriness:

You can see that I removed the sponge baffles that were inside the filter housing and on top of the spouts.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 
Seki

Ohhh, maybe it was you! Thanks for linking to that thread again! :)

My filter is a little different than that. I have a Top Fin 10 HOB filter. This is the one... http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752295

Any suggestions on how to use a sponge baffle on this one? :)
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 
inuudo

Well, keep in mind that I have had this tank and this fish for less than two weeks and it's my first aquarium... BUT

I think the key thing is to ensure that the sponge sits under the spout enough to redirect the water flow through it.

I am currently setting up a 10 gallon tank and have the Aquaclear 20 filter going. I just had a look at it to see how I would sponge baffle it. It looks like I could do something quite similar to what I have here although the sponge sandwich would have to be thicker and shorter. I could still use the elastic bands to hold them together and there are places on the filter that I could hook the twist ties onto. It might take some playing around with it to get it right, but it's absolutely doable.

I went through a few different setups before I arrived at the one I currently have. I tried tying the sponges together with thread and weighting them with screws off the back, but that didn't work as well as what I have now (a lot more finicky to get them out of the way when I was cleaning and I would have to cut and replace the thread every time I wanted to change the sponges).

(edited because spelling counts!)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 
Seki

Okay, I think I have a plan I might try with this filter. For now, until I get it figured out, I think I'm going to have to turn the filter off to feed Zen. He hasn't eaten since I got him Monday, because the bloodworm I put in got caught by the filter flow and Zen seemed scared to chase after it. He just went back down to the bottom of the tank and seemed to say "forget that".

I'm going to have to play with this, but I think I can make a sponge filter work. :) Thanks for your help!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #7 
inuudo

You're welcome! Please let me know what you do as it could help me refine my system even more.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #8 
katydidmischief

I have that filter and honestly I went out, bought a piece of sponge from fluval, and pushed it into the outflow then put the water bottle baffle over it. Michael literally swims UNDER the outflow now and could care less about the current. :)
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #9 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
I have that filter and honestly I went out, bought a piece of sponge from fluval, and pushed it into the outflow then put the water bottle baffle over it. Michael literally swims UNDER the outflow now and could care less about the current. :)
How did you push it into the outflow? I'm curious about that, because wouldn't it end up pressing right against the cartridge? Wouldn't that maybe be a bad thing? Also, I'm trying to avoid the waterbottle because I'm afraid of ripping Zen's gorgeous fins (already had a torn fin issue with Drago and I never want to have to deal with that again).

Thanks for the insight! Glad to hear from someone else who has this filter!