Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Betta Personalities

One of the things I love about bettas is that they have so much personality! Especially when you give them the room they need. Not many other fish actually have personalities. They just kind of swim around. They're relaxing to watch, but they aren't very interactive. I went to a LFS a few weeks ago and I was just going through the aisles looking at all the different fish they have, and I looked up and there was a tank on the top shelf, the bottom was level with the top of my head, and it had a bunch of Koi in it and they were all swimming in the bottom corner of the tank, bumping their noses into the glass, and I was like WTH is wrong with them?? So I walked past, and THEY FOLLOWED ME! Lol. So I played with them and kept walking back and forth and they kept following me. So they were interactive, but I think it was just because they wanted to be fed. lol.
Anyway, betta fish interact with you just because they feel like it. It's really interesting how they can actually recognize you. My parents came over the other night and were sitting on the couch next to Fishie's tank, and I was telling them how epic he looks when he flares, but he wasn't flaring, which was weird because whenever I turn on the light in the tank, I think he sees his reflection, and he swims around flaring for a really long time. So anyway, I tried to get him to flare by putting a mirror up to the tank right in his face, and he wouldn't flare. Then I put it in the water and he still wouldn't flare! That's not like him at all because he flares at everything. Sometimes he flares at me when I get close to the tank, and he just flared at a Pepsi can next to his tank... So anyway, when they were leaving I walked them out and when I came back upstairs and he was flaring! haha! I think it was because he didn't know my parents, and he was nervous around them, so he wasn't flaring! So interesting!
Sometimes he'll come up to the glass and watch me. If I put my finger on the glass he either backs up really quickly or he stays there and wiggles his butt. He's very inquisitive and curious and whenever there's something new or something he notices for the first time, he'll go up to it really close and stare at it for a while.
When he gets really excited, he poops. haha. I'l turn on the tank light, and he'll swim around flaring and pooping. it's so funny.
Anyway. this is just a post appreciating the personalities of betta fish.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes mine is the violent attacking anything even my finger not many people see there personality in cold bowls without food and when I checked on him in night and he was resting in his Betta log.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 
DeviCy

Mine likes to throw temper tantrums. I interrupted him one day when I tried to feed him before bed and he was building his bubble nest he got so mad that I interrupted him he flared at me and swam around and refused to eat. The next morning he swam around excitedly as if to say why didn't you feed me I was hungry. Hes so funny. I recently moved him and he got so pissed off because his temp tank is very reflective so he was like grrr fishes on my turf but he cooled off now thank goodness.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 
babystarz

Yes I love how they notice when I walk into the room. They all swim right up to the surface close to me. I have one guy on my nightstand so it's really fun to see him when I'm getting ready to sleep and he's tucked into his sea anemone decoration at night. He likes to snuggle with it and stuff himself between the tentacles to sleep.

And my roommates are starting to realize how the fish are aware of their surroundings. I have a big cylinder tank next to the couch in the living room and the little guy I have in there swims up to look at whoever is sitting next to the tank. He also likes to show off swimming laps :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Yes I love how they notice when I walk into the room. They all swim right up to the surface close to me. I have one guy on my nightstand so it's really fun to see him when I'm getting ready to sleep and he's tucked into his sea anemone decoration at night. He likes to snuggle with it and stuff himself between the tentacles to sleep.

And my roommates are starting to realize how the fish are aware of their surroundings. I have a big cylinder tank next to the couch in the living room and the little guy I have in there swims up to look at whoever is sitting next to the tank. He also likes to show off swimming laps :P
Wow you have a clown fish, Joke. I keep mine by the window he loves his floating Betta log he gets his daily pellet and pushes it around a bit and loves his weekly Flightless Fruit Flies and freeze dried brine shrimp he is not colorful he is a dark colored bi color or "chocolate" Betta.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

our bettas always know when we come in the room, and rush to the front of their tanks to say hi. i can't find it now, but a long time ago i saw a video of someone who had taught his betta to hop from one shallow bowl to another. they're such wonderful little things!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
our bettas always know when we come in the room, and rush to the front of their tanks to say hi. i can't find it now, but a long time ago i saw a video of someone who had taught his betta to hop from one shallow bowl to another. they're such wonderful little things!
That is terrible Betta bowls
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
That is terrible Betta bowls
no, the fish didn't live in a bowl, he just used bowls for the trick. it's easier for them to jump in shallower water, i think.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
no, the fish didn't live in a bowl, he just used bowls for the trick. it's easier for them to jump in shallower water, i think.
Then great
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
rosy delta

Yes, They do have individual personalities, and it is amazing how they recognize you. they all come to say Hi to me, and follow me around the room/tank as long as they can see me, yet pay no attention at all to my husband, who does not interact or feed them!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta personality