Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 
Ink

My fish met each other yesterday :(

I got the Top Fin divider at Petsmart to divide my 10 gallon about a week and a half ago, maybe longer. Everything was fine until I did my last water change on Wednesday night. I went to check on the guys and noticed that Sprinkles looked eerily like Blue. Well, it turns out that they switched tank sides. There was a just big enough gap along the tank divider and aquarium side that someone got to the other side. Blue is much larger than Sprinkles, and Sprinkles already had a traumatic week(cat tried to sit with fish while I changed the water) and lost some fin, but he was fine. Now he's all scraggly looking and Blue is missing a large chunk out of his fin. I am so glad that this didn't happen while I was gone this week.
I put Sprinkles back in his side of the tank after putting fake plants a an old tank lid back there to keep it shut off hopefully for now, and put Blue in a 3 gallon I had upgraded from. Blue is still agitated this morning and won't eat, and Sprinkles is hiding in his floating anacharis eating everything. I think it would be best to keep them in separate tanks until Blue stops flaring constantly and hopefully fix the divider.
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Oh no! I'm so sorry you had a divider mishap.....I know how stressful and frustrating those can be. I've been there more times then I care to remember. 8/
Warm, clean water and a little Aquarium Salt for a week or so should help with the stress and promote healing. :)

I know it kind of sucks, but I would personally advise ditching that store-bought divider. They're really not all that stable, and personally I've had horrible luck and experience with them. I suggest heading out to your local craft/office supply store and picking up some plastic craft mesh, plastic report binders, and just making your own divider. It really doesn't take much, you don't have to be crafty or anything, and a sheet of craft mesh is under a dollar so you could get several sheets just in case. I find that if you measure it right(which is pretty easy)and double-up on the craft mesh, these little under-3-dollar-apiece dividers are far more stable then those flimsy store-bought ones. I only use homemade dividers now and I haven't had any divider mishaps in a long, LONG time. ;)

Best of luck with your boys!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 
Houkou Tsuki

I bought the craft mesh and report binders as well. Although, I decided to test it with only one fish to prevent that mishap. Ichigo stayed in the 5 gallon while I let Lightning test out the divided 10. After a few days, I found Lightning over on the opposite side of the divider. The little devil somehow moved it slightly and squeezed through. Ugh!
I tacked the binder to the mesh with some silicone and again to the walls and bottom of the tank itself. Its not going anywhere! Ichigo and Lightning have been living side by side now for 3 months with no mishaps. I just didn't want to come home from work one night to discover a blood bath...
Houkou Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #4 
Ink

The fish are doing better(I think) You can see regrowth on Sprinkles(yay!) and Blue won't display his finnage enough to let me have a good look. I'm thinking of moving Sprinkles into his first home for some treatment and siliconing that divider in if I can't get the craft mesh to work without worrying constantly.
Thanks for all of your help, this is a wonderful forum!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 
DragonFish

Your very welcome! And glad to hear they seem to be doing better. :) Best of luck with them and your divider!!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Happy to hear your fish are doing better :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 
Ink

Oksy, I've finished the new divider and put both Blue and Sprinkles back in. The AQ salt has helped them both I can see regrowth on all torn fins and while cleaning I think I found most of the torn off ones. I also found out I left the heater off so both fish were probably cold. But, its warm water now about 80 degrees and hopefully everything will be alright for them. On the plus side, one of my anacharis plants has a bud on it!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #8 
a123andpoof

I had that happen and I use the craft mesh. So be careful when doing water changes. Thats were I had my problems. For my one tank I finally just took some silicone and glued them to the tank. I figure if I decide I dont like it all I need is a new tanks and thats what 5-12 dollars?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote