Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
Seki

Cycling help - cleaning!

Hey all, I've got a quick question. I'm cycling my new 5 gallon, fish-in. I got Zen 3 days ago, so my first water change should be today according to the schedule OFL laid out in her sticky about doing a fish-in cycle. Now, I know I'm only supposed to do a 50% change, and that this first one should be water-only, but my question is about my siphon.

I have another betta, and I use the siphon to clean his tank as well. Drago is healthy as can be, and I don't want to mess that up in any way. Zen seems healthy, but I cannot be sure as I've only had him for 3 days. Is it safe for me to use the same siphon I use in Drago's tank in Zen's as well? Drago's tank isn't cycling... would it be harmful for him if something from Zen's tank got into his? Is there a way for me to clean the siphon between uses in Zen's tank and Drago's tank? I absolutely don't want to do anything to jeopardize Drago...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You could boil the tubes or vinegar and water half and half I think and rinse rinse rinse ! Good luck I just finished cycling my 5 gallon tank took a month and half but I have a bio-wheel filter and it takes longer I have heard. Wait for others to reply also and see what they say as I only have one Betta and had to deal with this
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #3 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
You could boil the tubes or vinegar and water half and half I think and rinse rinse rinse ! Good luck I just finished cycling my 5 gallon tank took a month and half but I have a bio-wheel filter and it takes longer I have heard. Wait for others to reply also and see what they say as I only have one Betta and had to deal with this
I was thinking about running vinegar through it, but the boiling I am uncertain about. I don't want to melt any of the tubing, and I also dunno how I would clean the inside of the tubing without running boiling water through it, which could be potentially unsafe considering it could splatter or it could burn me through the tubing, etc.

Glad your fishy made it through your cycling! I'm hoping everything goes swimmingly for Zen (swimmingly... hahaha... I made a funny) and we make it through this happy and healthy. Being able to get the liquid water test kit will help, I think... but for now, I'm stuck with strips. :(
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 
starrlamia

do you have liquid test kits? you should have one for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Go by the test results for figuring out water changes, because your ammonia and nitrite levels can easily hit dangerous within a day if you are cycling fish in.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks so much and I hope the same for Zen, love his name ! Yeah dont burn yourself ! Do you have a big bowl you could soak them in ? The kit does help a lot..can you order on line cause on Amazon you can order the tests separate like the ammonia test and you get two bottles, I just ordered it along with the nitrate since I was about out of those two and didnt want to buy a whole kit and the price was not bad since you get 2 bottles in each one, I paid like 7 and change for each test, thats a great price for those cause it will last forever !

The price has gone up to 9 dollars but they have the entire test kit for 19 dollars which is a good price cause my local pet shop price is 25 dollars..here is the link it you want to check it

out.http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ia%2Caps%2C438

Last edited by Perseusmom; 08-30-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
do you have liquid test kits? you should have one for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Go by the test results for figuring out water changes, because your ammonia and nitrite levels can easily hit dangerous within a day if you are cycling fish in.
I said above that I actually only have the strips right now. With only a single fish, it would be unlikely the ammonia would hit dangerous levels in a single day. I am following OFL's cycling guide, and I am not concerned about levels. My question was regarding using a siphon between tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Thanks so much and I hope the same for Zen, love his name ! Yeah dont burn yourself ! Do you have a big bowl you could soak them in ? The kit does help a lot..can you order on line cause on Amazon you can order the tests separate like the ammonia test and you get two bottles, I just ordered it along with the nitrate since I was about out of those two and didnt want to buy a whole kit and the price was not bad since you get 2 bottles in each one, I paid like 7 and change for each test, thats a great price for those cause it will last forever !
I have checked them out on amazon, and I am going to be buying the liquid test kits soon! Unfortunately, I have to wait until I have a bit of extra money to blow. I might be able to get the kit in a week or so. Until then, I am not too worried. The strips will help me out, and beyond that, OFL says that a test kit actually isn't strictly necessary, just a nice thing to have.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 
starrlamia

You can definitely get high reading with only one fish it doesn't take much ammonia to be toxic and effect your stock. Ofl has a great guide but there are a lot of variables and it isn't quite that simple. I'm just trying to be helpful I've cycled a lot of tanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
Seki

I appreciate your help. My question was about the siphon, though. I need to do a water change, and I don't know if I can use my siphon in both tanks or not. Do you have any insight on that?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #9 
starrlamia

If both tanks are healthy than it should be fine. You can always clean it with bleach or hydrogen peroxide, just be sure to rinse it well after (throw it in some water with double dechlorinator for a few minutes)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah you should be okay most water conditioners detoxifies ammonia for 48 hours I know Prime does and it also it does the same with nitrite and nitrate. After 48 hours I would do a 20 or 25 percent water change just to be on the safe side, I did that cause I am a huge worrier..lol It want hurt anything than do the two 50 percent each week like OFL says.