Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
ktlelia

Question Complete Water Care Kit? Wut? (pH Issues)

I moved back home, due to a mixture of being a broke post-grad college student and my roommate sucks.
Thus, new place, new water, new problems to deal with. The pH in this town water is crazy. I had well water that listened to me beforehand, but this water is just being difficult. I even put "pH down" in it, and nothing happened. My mother heard my warrior cries and complaints and got me this "complete water care kit" that tablets that claims to buffer the pH to 7.0 and have start zyme, aaaand water conditioner. Magical. Too bad it can't fix my car as well.

So, my questions are:
- Does anyone know if this care kit actually works/is worth a try/or good?
- If these tablets don't help me, or not suggested for me to try, what are other options for me to handle this high pH?
- Question out of curiosity: what does high pH possibly do to fish?

**I do have a separate tank that isn't being used by anyone that I could test this kit out in. My baby boy is acting perfectly fine in his tank even with this pH high issue, but if I have the option to make the water even better for him, I would like to know.

Thanks for taking the time for helping me out, you are the best. I will mentally hug you.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #2 
megaredize

how high is it? i know bettas can adjust to higher pH's it doesnt have to be at 7.0 mine is like 7.8 or a bit higher and my bettas are fine. whats more important is that the pH is stable. you might need to test the GH and KH which i really dont know much about but im sure someone else does :)
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
how high is it? i know bettas can adjust to higher pH's it doesnt have to be at 7.0 mine is like 7.8 or a bit higher and my bettas are fine. whats more important is that the pH is stable. you might need to test the GH and KH which i really dont know much about but im sure someone else does :)
Not sure the exact number on how high it is. The test tells me it's at 7.6, which is the highest this liquid test goes, but I assumed it was higher because of the not changing after I added pH down in it.
The pH never seems to change according to my testing...but then again if it's higher than 7.6 the test will never tell me. I do know that pH shouldn't move more than .5 per 24 hours, right?...<_<
The GH and the KH seems kinda high too, judging the colors, but I only have test strips for those. (I heard test strips can have inaccuracy, but its what I have at the moment...)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
megaredize

ya i dont know much about pH i have the liquid master kit so i know my pH but i have never tested for KH or GH so all i know is i have had no problems so it must be fine. i do know the strips cannot be reliable so that might be part of it. i was hoping someone with pH knowledge was going to come around lol
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
ya i dont know much about pH i have the liquid master kit so i know my pH but i have never tested for KH or GH so all i know is i have had no problems so it must be fine. i do know the strips cannot be reliable so that might be part of it. i was hoping someone with pH knowledge was going to come around lol
Haha, I understand thanks though for the input :)
Yeah my fish act fine in this water, but I just didn't want to overlook it.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
starrlamia

my guys are also in 7.8 water and do fine.
I got a care kit like that once:
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/tank-...u5d29tcgs6uhe2
it was awful, the tablet didnt dissolve well and left a film on my water, i wouldnt recommend it.
How high is your ph?

ETA saw your post lol, maybe invest in the higher ph kit?
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 
wombatgirl

I've got like 7.8-8 water, and from everything I've been reading, it's actually better to just acclimatize the fish to the higher pH than fuzt about with chemicals every time you change water. And my four little guys are doing just fine. So I've been just sticking with what I have. However, if your water is REALLY high, you may need to rethink that. Do you have a local fish store - they can test your water for you, and likely get better results than the strips.
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #8 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
my guys are also in 7.8 water and do fine.
I got a care kit like that once:
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/tank-...u5d29tcgs6uhe2
it was awful, the tablet didnt dissolve well and left a film on my water, i wouldnt recommend it.
How high is your ph?

ETA saw your post lol, maybe invest in the higher ph kit?
I'll search for one in the city when I go there in two days- it's just an hour away so I don't normally travel there much. I could buy online if all else fails, lol. Thanks for the heads up on the tablet thing! :)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
I've got like 7.8-8 water, and from everything I've been reading, it's actually better to just acclimatize the fish to the higher pH than fuzt about with chemicals every time you change water. And my four little guys are doing just fine. So I've been just sticking with what I have. However, if your water is REALLY high, you may need to rethink that. Do you have a local fish store - they can test your water for you, and likely get better results than the strips.
OH! I never thought about letting the LPS test it. I don't like my LPS so...I don't go in there...thus I forgot it even existed. I'll try them out to test my water.
Thank you much!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 
wombatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlelia View Post
OH! I never thought about letting the LPS test it. I don't like my LPS so...I don't go in there...thus I forgot it even existed. I'll try them out to test my water.
Thank you much!
Yeah - I'm not fond of mine either. I try not to shop anywhere that sells puppies, and their tanks smelled funny. But they mentioned they test water, so I'm planning to bring them water when I need to, but then not go there for anything major. (And try VERY hard to not look at the gorgeous blue veil tails they have)
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote