Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #51 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster911 View Post
so since i have filter anyway i can do like no 100 percent water changes? i dont wanna stress him out. :/ like should i do 50 percent monday and friday?
You need to do a 100% water change each week. The filter will not remove ammonia. If you dont do 100% water changes, the ammonia will build up. Ammonia is colorless and toxic.
two water changes per week- 1 100% and 1 50%.
Be sure you acclimate him to the new water after a water change so he doesnt go into temperature shock. You can do this by floating the bag or cup that he is in in the tank. (be sure to leave some air in the bag or cup)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #52 
kfryman

Or you can do 3 50%s and use carbon, I would do a 100% if I were you.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #53 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

And easier way to water changes if you have any gallon jugs or start saving them and just rinse them out very good but dont use any soap as that could kill your fish. Just rinse very well with hot water and save them when you do water changes fill them up in the morning or evening before and put in the water conditioner and then they are ready and waiting on you when your ready to do water changes.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #54 
ao
TFK Moderator

back to the temperature hing. 86 is a good temp! tropical fish can surprisingly do well at pretty hight temperatures. mine was enjoying the 90s for a few days.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #55 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
And easier way to water changes if you have any gallon jugs or start saving them and just rinse them out very good but dont use any soap as that could kill your fish. Just rinse very well with hot water and save them when you do water changes fill them up in the morning or evening before and put in the water conditioner and then they are ready and waiting on you when your ready to do water changes.
I do this all the time. Very convenient for me. In the summer when i don't have heaters in and i use room temp water i just use the water i prepare day before.
If i have heaters in the winter i do the same but my room is colder then their tanks so i just using room temp water and then i prepare warmer water 20 min before i change them. Then i just mix cooler and warmer water. I have thermometer that i stick on outside of the tank so when i mix the water i see the temp and make sure it the same they were in well approximately the same . Very convenient.

I think i acclimate him by adding new water a little by little in his changing cup and wait for about 5 min between each time i am adding the new water.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #56 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
back to the temperature hing. 86 is a good temp! tropical fish can surprisingly do well at pretty high temperatures. mine was enjoying the 90s for a few days.
I think not every betta will like 86*. I think it kind of extreme. And there is more chance to getting infection in the warmer water. Or you have to keep it super clean, like really a lot of water changes. I read that not all betta will like extreme temperature.
I actually ask my mom to turn a/c for my bettas when i go on vocation because my house in the summer usually about 86* with close windows.

But i was thinking some people just don't have choice in the summer...My husband always turn off a/c when we leave to work and we come back at 6 pm, soi just do extra water changes in the warmer weather. I personally love 100% water changes and all my bettas love it too lol
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #57 
ao
TFK Moderator

I guess some bettas are probably bred to a cooler temp :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote