Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #1 
JakeSnake

5 Gallon tank

Hello,
I have a Betta fish that I got in March 2007. I keep him in a half gallon tank and with some fake plants and he was really active and his color and size exploded (he was kind of sickly when I bought him). I decided that he was much too big for his bowl so I bought a 1.5 gallon tank from the pet store. It was only AFTER I bought that tank that I found this website and the consensus here seems to be that I need a 5 gallon tank minimum.

I know that since I've moved him from the .5 gallon bowl to the 1.5 gallon tank he's become much more active again. Do you think I should immediately upgrade to a five gallon tank or will this tank do me for a while? I think he's pretty big as far as Bettas go (he's about 2.5 inches). I'll include pics of the tank.

JakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Cool tank! I never see anything like that and would wish I want that one.;)

Why not move to a 5g? The bigger, the better.:) Wise decision to think that one.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #3 
JakeSnake

[I'd be worried about upgrading because of the cost and because I think that tank is still "cycling" and I'd hate to stress the fish and kill him.[/u]
Old 01-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #4 
JakeSnake

The more I read the guiltier I feel about my Betta being in a gallon and a half tank. Now I'm seriously considering going to a five gallon tank.

Since I'm going to be upgrading anyway and the tank would have to restart the cycling process, would it hurt to throw some ghost shrimp in there? You know to eat the flakes that fall to the bottom...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #5 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake
The more I read the guiltier I feel about my Betta being in a gallon and a half tank. Now I'm seriously considering going to a five gallon tank.

Since I'm going to be upgrading anyway and the tank would have to restart the cycling process, would it hurt to throw some ghost shrimp in there? You know to eat the flakes that fall to the bottom...
Adding 4 or 5 Ghost Shrimp would be fine. They should get along with the betta, providing you give them a good amount of hiding spots.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote