Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #1 
DovaBetta

Fin Edge Shredding- Damage or Fin Rot?

Though I usually personally attend to my bettas, I had my sister feed them for me this morning, as I left early for school. I didn't get home until late and noticed right away as I went to do their night feeding that Dovah's fins were rather spiky and discolored looking, enough that I was alarmed.
It doesn't appear to be normal tearing or shredding, like getting caught in a filter or other sharp surfaces (I have none in the tank anyway, and no problems ever with my gentle filter), so I'm a bit baffled as to what the cause is.

I'm not extremely familiar with fin rot as a disease, as neither of my two male bettas have ever had it, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't show up this quickly and severely in a 24 hour period. My sister isn't familiar enough with my fish to have noticed if he was like this this morning, so it could have been even less than that.
Dovah's sole tankmate is a ghost shrimp that I've had for a little over a month with no problems between the two, and I see this as the only other explanation for the damage.

Are either of these two the possible answer? I would hate to assume fin rot and medicate without needing to.

(sorry, I'm unable to test my water for now, and I need an answer ASAP!)
I do regular half water changes, and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the water itself, as he has been perfect until tonight.

Name:  photo(7).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  58.4 KBName:  photo(6).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  33.0 KB
as you can see, his fins are usually rounded, not spiky. It's as though they worked in from the edges, which is the only reason I'm considering rot. (ignore the snail, he was removed after being eaten by said betta haha)
DovaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 
Silverfang

That looks like biting to me. Just keep him in clean water. They can't always be cured of fin biting. Some fish are just brats.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #3 
DovaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
That looks like biting to me. Just keep him in clean water. They can't always be cured of fin biting. Some fish are just brats.
Well, that's a relief. But biting himself, or the shrimp?? I've never had this problem before and it seems unusual
Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 
Silverfang

That looks like he is biting his own tail. Most people are stunned when they first hear that a betta will bit their own tail. There are many theories behind it. Stress, boredom, they find their finnage to be too heavy/awkward for them. Or they are just plain neurotic fish who want to tick off their fish momma/poppa.

I've had two who are compulsive biters. One looks alot like yours. I have heard of troubles with "false" ghost shrimp, who are a different species (but really so similar it's hard to tell). They are actually quite aggressive. However that looks like self inflicted damage.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 
DovaBetta

Quote:
That looks like he is biting his own tail. Most people are stunned when they first hear that a betta will bit their own tail. There are many theories behind it. Stress, boredom, they find their finnage to be too heavy/awkward for them. Or they are just plain neurotic fish who want to tick off their fish momma/poppa.

I've had two who are compulsive biters. One looks alot like yours. I have heard of troubles with "false" ghost shrimp, who are a different species (but really so similar it's hard to tell). They are actually quite aggressive. However that looks like self inflicted damage.
I just have a hard time believing it because he hadn't touched his fins before in the 3-4 months I've had him o_o
It's probably to do with the size increase in his tail, it had grown about a whole half inch every which way since I'd gotten him, I'm assuming due to better care. He looked so pretty though it's a shame :c
Any reason he looks muddier in color as well? Like he's stressed out as a cause of the fin biting

Good to know it isn't the shrimp though. I definitely had my doubts since Dovah and him swim around together without bothering all the time.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 
Silverfang

You rarely see them bite. They will chase their tails in circles and try to bite.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 
DovaBetta

Quote:
You rarely see them bite. They will chase their tails in circles and try to bite.
aww, alright then. Well, I'll hope for the best and maybe he won't do it again
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
Silverfang

My fin/tail biter. http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1336883060