Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #1 
mybettababies

Post Pictures of my Betta Boys (and friends)

Here is a picture of my 8.5 gallon tank. I did have my betta Masta (my husband named him) in there, but I think the other fish were nipping at his fins (there are 3 cherry barbs and 3 algae eaters) so he's quarantined right now.
Name:  8.5G.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  35.4 KB

This is my smaller 2.6 gallon tank that was at my work, but that is a toxic environment and was killing many other fish in the office (horrible energy there) so I took him home to save his life. His name is Damon Salvatore (Vampire Diaries anyone?? )
Name:  2.6G.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  32.7 KB

And remember Masta?? This is him in quarantine. I figured one little floating plant wouldn't hurt, until I can figure out a more permanent fix for him, I'm hoping to get another tank for him and add some other fish to the big one. Any suggestions??
Name:  quar..jpg
Views: 162
Size:  32.0 KB
mybettababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #2 
obiordi

Poor little Masta. Well Barbs are not supposed to be housed with Bettas (especially Tiger Barbs) because of their tendency to be aggressive. I think you are doing the right thing, but I wouldn't put any fish that could harm a Betta and there is only so much you can do with a 8.5gal. What algae eaters are in your tank? How many of them? I would put maybe some neon tetras in with a betta (but you need at least 5 since they are schooling fish) or some ghost shrimp. Other than those, there isn't much you can do with an 8.5gal tank. Good luck wih your little recovering Masta. :) Getting Masta a 2.5gal tank or larger should be good. As for the 8.5gal WITHOUT A BETTA IN IT there is much more you can do. You can get Corydora catfish (maybe not sure but I like them), look into mollies, oto cats, neon tetras, etc.

Last edited by obiordi; 09-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.
obiordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #3 
mybettababies

Thank you for the info, the aquarium store I bought them from suggested the cherry barbs because they had small fins, I actually asked about neon tetras and they told me no because they had piranha like teeth and would nip at the fins haha I guess they got it backwards?
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #4 
mybettababies

I forgot to answer your questions, in the 8.5 I have two oto cats
Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #5 
Fartsparkle

I wouldn't put anything with a betta. if you want a new tank for him go to walmart. they have some pretty decent selections.
Fartsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #6 
Aqua Aurora

You should round out your cherry barb school/shoal, then need to be in groups of 6 or more to spread aggression around, also: if you are keeping any female cherry barbs (orange.. males are red) you need a ratio of 1:2 m:f minimum (or more females) or else females will be chased to death for sex. Getting more should keep them occupied with themselves and not harming a betta. I have a school of 12 cherry barbs, 4 males 8 females and they don't bother the other fish in the tank, just chase each other around in dominance displays r 'hey baby lets get it on', except when I'm at the tank then everyone is front and center 'food food food food!!'

What is you '3 algae eaters'? I hope not siemese or chinese algae eaters, they get large and aggressive (and stop eating algae as adults if I recall) and need 50g+ tanks as they grow. Plecos have too huge a bioload (just one of them) for a 8.5g tank, 3 is way too much poo=too high nitrates. Also depending on the species of pleco you will probably have a dominant one bully and kill at least one if not both of the others as it matures (most pleco species don't like to share their territory) the exception to this being bristlenose plecos and a few other small breeds, but those have to be kept in school #s(6+) to spread aggression.. and also need a 50g+ tank for all their poo.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #7 
Fartsparkle

that was some strenuous information there buddy. :)
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

I like to research a lot about fish I consider getting to see if I can give them a proper setup and avoid conflict or deaths.

Another "algae eater" option they may have are otos (otocinclus), could have another long paragraph on their care as I have several.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #9 
Fartsparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
I like to research a lot about fish I consider getting to see if I can give them a proper setup and avoid conflict or deaths.

Another "algae eater" option they may have are otos (otocinclus), could have another long paragraph on their care as I have several.
I do plenty of research, but never have the necessity to actually relinquish my knowledge to some one. Just tid bit by tid bit.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #10 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybettababies View Post
Here is a picture of my 8.5 gallon tank. I did have my betta Masta (my husband named him) in there, but I think the other fish were nipping at his fins (there are 3 cherry barbs and 3 algae eaters) so he's quarantined right now.
Attachment 429402

This is my smaller 2.6 gallon tank that was at my work, but that is a toxic environment and was killing many other fish in the office (horrible energy there) so I took him home to save his life. His name is Damon Salvatore (Vampire Diaries anyone?? )
Attachment 429410

And remember Masta?? This is him in quarantine. I figured one little floating plant wouldn't hurt, until I can figure out a more permanent fix for him, I'm hoping to get another tank for him and add some other fish to the big one. Any suggestions??
Attachment 429418
Pretty tanks :) If you are looking for a suggestion for fish with a betta, I have 11 emerald eye rasboras and a betta in a 10g...all has been quite peaceful. The rasboras school really nice; they aren't a colorful fish, but their eyes are just striking...adds a nice touch to this tank :) And I have found nerites to be a great algae eater..I have them in all my tanks.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote