Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #1 
Pixielator

Question Indian Almond Leaves

What are all of the benefits of using IALs in your betta tanks? Are there different kinds of IAL? Is there a downside to using IAL?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 
Matilda

As far as I know the real benefit to using IAL is the anti-bacterial qualities they have, apparantly the Thai betta breeders use them in their tanks & have been for some time. They also lower the Ph a bit, which bettas like.
I don't think there are different kinds, just different qualities. Some are perfect leaves while other may have holes or be in pieces. I don't really care because I only use part of the leaf anyway.
The only downside I have found has been remembering how long I've had the leaf in there! They do need to be replaced occasionally. Some people also don't like the tea-colored water & consider it unattractive. I don't mind it too much.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 
Pixielator

So its normal for it to turn the water brown? And how long after putting it in does it need to be replaced?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have a couple in my 5 gallon tank right now and the water is a rich ember color, kinda like a very weak tea color... I love it ! I think you can leave them in till they start to get all mushy not sure though as this is the first time I had put them in my tank so hope someone else will answer that question. Mine has been in so far three days and it only take about 1 day for the water to start to ember colored.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

You don't need to remove them at all. If you have a cycled tank it will decompose naturally but it's not the pretiest thing to see in your tank.
I've used many grades of IAL's and have found that the cheapest are the best. They release more tannings than the grade A ones.
They are also very large and in pretty good condition.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 
Pixielator

So, I used to put a bit of salt in with my bettas like once a month or so to kill off anything bad that may have been in the tanks, but then I was told not to do that because using salt regularly can cause things like salt resistant ich. If I used IAL in my tanks, then wouldn't that be able to create anti-bacterial resistant bacteria infections or something?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
babystarz

IAL grading is only related to appearance, not leaf quality. So if there are physical imperfections a perfectly good leaf will be rated grade B or lower.

Using salt just once a month is fine, if you used it continuously that would be a problem. IAL leaves aren't antibacterial in the sense that they mimic antibiotics, they just release chemicals that kill tiny living organisms. So the likelihood of a resistant strain developing in a tank is pretty much nil.

IAL leaves also help with breeding, lowering tank pH and generally just keeping the bettas happy and healthy. A lot of breeders in Thailand keep IAL leaves in their tanks all the time.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
You don't need to remove them at all. If you have a cycled tank it will decompose naturally but it's not the pretiest thing to see in your tank.
I've used many grades of IAL's and have found that the cheapest are the best. They release more tannings than the grade A ones.
They are also very large and in pretty good condition.
I actually bought the Grade A's this time around and I honestly liked my Grade C and D's more! They tanned up the water better, these A's are taking forever. But the A's tend to stay together in the tanks, the C's and D's fall apart on me. What I do is leave the leaf in for about 2 weeks, take it out and hang it to dry. Then I boil my leaves once a month and make a "blackwater" to store for another time. When I take new fish home, I add the blackwater to their tank along with a new Almond leaf so the water is dark instantly and the fish isn't so stressed out. I use every last bit of mine. My community tank and my cichlid tank loves them too.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 
Pixielator

Thanks for the info, guys. I searched for IAL on ebay, I keep seeing the words "Ketapang" and "Catappa". Which one do I use, does it matter? Is one better than the other?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #10 
tantora

Benefits of Catappa Leaves for aquarium fish from many researches
1. Anti Bacteria
2. Prevent Parasite
3. Relieve Stress
4. cure the wound
5. Stimulate fish colour
tantora is offline   Reply With Quote