Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #1 
babystarz

Winter Breeding Considerations

I am at least 2 months out from my first spawn, but I have a big question that I want to resolve before I even start getting my supplies together because it could turn out to be a major issue.

I live in one of the coldest climates in the U.S. Winter here can easily span 5 months, with 3 of those months ranging anywhere from 10 degrees F to -35 degrees F. Heating my normal tanks isn't an issue, but I have no idea how to prepare jars for juvenile boys to be heated. It will be at most 70 degrees inside the house, so no heaters wouldn't be a good option.

Does anyone in a similar situation have suggestions? My fish room right now is my bedroom, and we have some really big linen closets, I could potentially convert one into another fish room if I need the space (it's a 3'x5' room)... but there are no outlets near those closets so I'd have to rig up some serious extension cords. Could I potentially put a space heater inside the closet? Or is there a less dangerous way to keep the heat up?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Putting the jars in a lowly filled aquarium and heat it the heated water will heat the water in the jars or heat the room or small cheap reptile heaters.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas need 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Instead of an aquarium, I use a storage tub with water warmed with an underwater heater which in turn keeps the water in my jars warm.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is what I was trying to explain you did it better heating the water with heated water in fact maybe some fish could live in the water.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 
indianabetta

I have a closet as a heated fish room, its not a huge closet but I am able to walk in and sit and stuff. I heat the room with a space heater, I did have to do extension cords to bring light and heat into the room. I have all my juvies on shelves in this room, keep in mind I have 150 juvies, so there are long shelves, with the shelves being just enough space between them for the containers, it works perfectly for me, I also do my spawning in this room, because success rates vary on spawns I have them spawn in 5 gallon containers, and when the fry are 1 week old I move them to ten gallon aquariums in my real fish room (our finished basement) .
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

If you have a light socket in that room you can actually buy screw in pieces that will allow you to plug something and attach a lightbulb
Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leviton-Ivor...item51a09a7144
So you would be able to connect a space heater and still have light.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 
babystarz

Wow, thank you all for these helpful suggestions! It looks like the closet setup will work out for me :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #9 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Putting the jars in a lowly filled aquarium and heat it the heated water will heat the water in the jars or heat the room or small cheap reptile heaters.
Can also use a lagre plastic tote.. added 4" water and a heater and I kept a lot of beanies in there. Kept lid on.. it was dark but kept air warm. That is why I use barracks.. the circulated water is heated.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote