Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 
Joelouisvachon

Certain colors easier to breed?

I'm not going to breed anytime soon, but I do have a 10 g and time to do it, so I'm doing some research. According to bettatalk.com, some colors are easier to breed in a fish and I was wondering if this was true, or whether it's a myth. I doubt it is a myth considering the author has been recommended in a sticky and that sounds reasonable… but I’m just wondering.

If it is true, then what are these ‘easy’ colors and how do I recognize them?

Saying so, I do realize that breeding quality bettas is hard no matter the color, this is just relatively speaking.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

It sounds to me like they're talking about dominant an recessive traits...
Red and blue are dominant and easier to get.
Where as some colors, like orange for example, are recessive and therefore harder to get in the fry...

I'm not breeding expert but that is one thing of my understanding...
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #3 
Joelouisvachon

http://bettatalk.com/selecting_stock.htm
that was the link I read this from, I don't entirely understand it but maybe you do?
I understand the concept of recessive and dominant genes, but I'm
not sure that's what they're saying.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelouisvachon View Post
http://bettatalk.com/selecting_stock.htm
that was the link I read this from, I don't entirely understand it but maybe you do?
I understand the concept of recessive and dominant genes, but I'm
not sure that's what they're saying.
Are you referring to this?...

" last but not least they have no set genes. Meaning they are "mutts", a blend of tons of different genes, the result of none selective breeding, meaning were breed at random without any breeding goal (other than producing tones of cheap bettas to make quick money). You will never be able to accurately predict the outcome of any spawns from pet store bettas. Further more they all carry major faults which would take years and years of hard work to rectify, such as red washes on blue bettas, or blue iridescence on red bettas, bad DT splits and other hidden flaws and deformities."
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

Getting true color/color patterns is very hard no matter what fish you breed.
A true red pair will 7no 7necessary give you true red fish, it's a4bout the purity of the color.
On color patterns is about the balance of color, for example, a true butterfly will have 50/50 color separation on all 3 fins.
You will always get randon colors in a spawn. Personally, I enjoy the variety that multi and marble geno fish bring into a spawn.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
Joelouisvachon

No, this is what I was referring to:

"Not all strains were created equal :) and some of them are much more challenging than others. Melanos are a good example and very often will be hard to spawn. Halfmoon males are also notorious for being horrible breeders. My advice is:
Pick a strain according to your bettabilities. If you are just starting, pick one that is easier to breed even if it's not your favorite color. One has to start somewhere and you still have alot of learning to do. Later when you know what you are doing (as if we EVER do! LOL) then you can move to fancier,
rarer and more fragile, tempermental and exspensive strains."
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 
Thomasdog

Oh great... I'm starting my first spawn with... Halfmoons. Reds. Males. Females. Oh my. :)
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 
tpocicat

I love HM's and that is all I breed. True sometimes you have to try several times, but eventually they usually will breed. For example, for my current spawn, it took three trys to get it right.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #9 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelouisvachon View Post
No, this is what I was referring to:

"Not all strains were created equal :) and some of them are much more challenging than others. Melanos are a good example and very often will be hard to spawn. Halfmoon males are also notorious for being horrible breeders. My advice is:
Pick a strain according to your bettabilities. If you are just starting, pick one that is easier to breed even if it's not your favorite color. One has to start somewhere and you still have alot of learning to do. Later when you know what you are doing (as if we EVER do! LOL) then you can move to fancier,
rarer and more fragile, tempermental and exspensive strains."
Black is not for faint of heart. Many failed spawns due to fertility issues. Best to have another easier color and do black on the side. Otherwise too discouraging as the only color you are working.

Any solid is going to be difficult to perfect. We have 2 kinds of reds now and the iridescent colors [blue, steel, turq] have a lot of metallic mixed in. Bicolors often are not clean and even marbles do not often have the 50/50 division of the colors to be competitive.

I recommend the irids as you get to work the blues, steels and turqs. IF, and that is a big if, they do not have pattern up the genetic pike, you get nice solid fish with good color. Sometimes some red wash.. but over all consistent good color. Then perfect form. That often gives you experience to then breed some of the other colors. But.. if you absolutely love white.. then go for it. Even with 1 spawn you will spend a lot of time changing water [ideally] so make it a color you love.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #10 
Joelouisvachon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Black is not for faint of heart. Many failed spawns due to fertility issues. Best to have another easier color and do black on the side. Otherwise too discouraging as the only color you are working.
I recommend the irids as you get to work the blues, steels and turqs. IF, and that is a big if, they do not have pattern up the genetic pike, you get nice solid fish with good color. Sometimes some red wash.. but over all consistent good color. Then perfect form. That often gives you experience to then breed some of the other colors. But.. if you absolutely love white.. then go for it. Even with 1 spawn you will spend a lot of time changing water [ideally] so make it a color you love.
That really helps! My betta fish Blu is an irid, so those colors have really grown on me. I love white, but my roomates need to agree with my breeding of betta fish, and they don't like white betta fish. *sigh*