Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #41 
katydidmischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Anyone care to tell me the difference between an un-reputable BYB and a reputable one? My family is looking into getting a pup, but I'd really like to know what to look for in BYB area.
Good breeders have clean kennels, will allow you to see both parents if requested, and will have vet records on everyone including mom and dad. They test for genetic disorders inherent in their breed, and will not breed a pair that have shown ANY genetic issue in the offspring. For instance, we had a GSD breeder at the vet clinic I work at whom had a lot of pups out of one pair with megaesophagus. They no longer bred that pair after that litter.

If you're looking at a larger breed, like GSD, Lab, etc, you'll want to ask about hip dysplasia in the line. Good breeders will have had their animals checked and submitted x-rays to the OFA.

BYBers don't always do the genetic testing. They should still have had their animals vaccinated and treated if they were ill (some pups get kennel cough in a high-number environment), gotten their first deworming, and should still allow you to meet mom and dad if both are available. The litter should be clean; if they're kept in a home, ask to see where they've been kept; if they're outside, make sure the pen is clean and there's fresh water available. If they have more animals than a person can reasonably handle or will not allow you to see kennels/pens/conditions, be cautious.

Anyway, hope that helps a little.

And Teeney, he is adorable! I agree with adoption first, but I can see why you love him! That face... And it looks like he gets along with your other pup already.

Last edited by katydidmischief; 09-25-2012 at 04:33 AM.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #42 
teeneythebetta

Thank you guys!

Another Thing to keep in mind is that reputable breeders don't sell on puppyfind, or Craigslist, etc.
And typically they only care for 1 litter at a time, and only breed one breed of dog, that way they can devote their time & attention to just one.
And the parents should be champions in shows. ;)

IMO there's nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #43 
toad

[quote=teeneythebetta;1256055
And the parents should be champions in shows. ;)[/QUOTE]

This is the definition of real breeder for me - IMO, no one has any business breeding a dog that hasn't been proven in either conformation or working classes.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #44 
teeneythebetta

I joined a forum for yorkie owners a couple days ago, before we got Buddy, and I have learned so much already!
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/

We had him taken to the groomers today and although I think he's still cute, I miss the fuzziness! At least he still has a fuzzy head lol :o)

Old 09-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #45 
registereduser

it will grow back fast, don't worry! I think my toy poodle is cutest just before grooming time when he is at his fuzziest
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #46 
teeneythebetta

Wow I am soo happy it is Friday tomorrow! :P

Do you think DeeOhJee's bed is big enough for Buddy? Lol no but seriously, this bed is designed for a huge dog like a german shepherd.

I am having forum troubles, every time I click on an email notification for a reply in a thread im subscribed to, it takes forever to load! I heard some others are having this happen too, so sorry if I dont reply/ it takes me awhile to reply.

Buddy and DeeOhJee are going to the vet together in about a week. DeeOhJee has a follow up appt. and Buddy will get another set of shots.
After Buddy gets his rabies shot in about a month, he will also get a license. Our animal control offers a thing where if your dog is licensed and rabies vaccinated, you can submit your forms and they give out 10 free vouchers for spay/neuter each week. So it looks like he will be neutered. Although he probably wont be done until 5-6 mos old.
I think my parents are submitting DeeOhJee's paper work as well.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 09-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #47 
teeneythebetta

Busy busy weekend.
Yesterday I went to clean a woman's house, for about 6 hours. Thank god, I really needed the money because I've been worried about how I was gonna buy cat food. Phew! Then came home to walk the dogs. Apparently two squirrels came out of no where and I didnt see them until we were about 6 feet away. Well DeeOhJee saw them while we were running, and he went after them (he hates squirrels) and I ended up falling xD I felt so stupid. But anyways, i came home with a bleeding elbow, and scrapes on my left shoulder, knees, hands and left wrist. FUN FUN!

Today I cleaned and removed a virus from my computer! I downloaded a photo editor, and when the photo editor downloaded, it downloaded seperate programs that were viruses. After hours of online tutorials from computer genuises, its gone! WOOT WOOT
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #48 
teeneythebetta

I've been really busy lately, especially with house training Buddy.
I am getting together with the people that help out with the newsletter, and theyre going to take my place and run it.

Im not looking forward to not this weekend, but the weekend after that. My grandparents are coming. They were told that we got a yorkie and their response was that my aunt has a yorkie that bites.
They hate my other dog for no good reason- only because he is not a boxer. (which is their breed of choice)

Why do people hate dogs just because they are not of their favorite breed??
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #49 
LebronTheBetta

Aw... I'm so sorry. :\ Boxers aren't my favorite breed, but I don't hate them! What did they say exactly about Buddy? That he's going to bite no matter what?! >:(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #50 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Aw... I'm so sorry. :\ Boxers aren't my favorite breed, but I don't hate them! What did they say exactly about Buddy? That he's going to bite no matter what?! >:(
Pretty much. Because of my aunt heather's mean dog, they hate the breed.
There are boxers that bite. But not all do. So I don't understand the thought process there.