Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Getting New Tank To Defeat Algae?

I've had a problem with algae for almost a year now and I cannot get it to go away. I've found an ad on Craigslist and am thinking about getting a 5 gallon tank to replace my 10 gallon (I had it divided in 3 but only have one betta now). I also plan on getting new gravel, and running all my plants through the dishwasher with no detergent. Surely after all this I won't still have algae?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Algae is caused by high phosphates and lots of light.
How long is your tank light left on?

You could get a nerite snail. Just one can eat a lot of algae. Be sure to research their care first, though.
Marimo moss balls might help too. They will suck up a lot of nutrients that the algae would otherwise get,

Good luck,
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Algae is going to happen in basically every single tank. Even the nicest set-ups you see online will have dealt with or be dealing with some form of algae.

What kind of algae are you getting? Usually algae is caused by fluctuating CO2 levels, unbalanced nutrients and a too long photoperiod. However, cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) is often caused by poor water circulation, low nitrate levels and high levels of organic matter.

Getting a new tank is not going to prevent algae if you are just going to replicate the conditions of your previous set-up.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I agree with everyone. Let's try to find out what is causing the algae before you invest in another tank. It's typically a matter of tweaking either the lights or nutrients. Exactly what kind of algae do you have?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote