Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
Ami

Betta set up in a 29G tank

Hi,
I am new to keeping bettas and have absolutely fallen in love with these pretty fish. I am currently housing one in a 10G tank with an airstone, a 20 gallon tetra "Whisper" filter set to the lowest flow and a heater set at 78F. The live plants are morimo moss, Anubias, Java fern and a bit of floating hornwort. There is a rock and a pagoda-like decor which can act as a cave that my betta can pass through / rest in.
I have a 29G planted tank that has been running since January. There are some ramshorn and pond snails in it, but they are a stable population that keeps the algae levels under control. I would like to convert it into a betta community tank. I would like to know if the following be compatible --

1. One male betta (show fish)
2. 8-10 white cloud mountain minnows (for a "school" effect)
3. 5 spotted corydoras

Is it possible to have cherry barbs instead of white cloud mountain minnows?

Thanks !
Ami
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No barbs love biting fins also not all bettas can live with other fish so be careful with cories and minnows.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

wow 29g for a Betta!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You will also need a lot of hiding spaces
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 
Ami

Hmmm...what could be good companions for my betta in a 29G? Should I get shrimp and a snail instead?
The 29G has quite a few plants (1 Amazon sword, java moss, anubias nana, java fern, C. wendtii etc.) There are also some rocks and a large driftwood. So hopefully the betta will find some place for himself I'm thinking of putting a small clay pot in there as well. I've read that they like a "cave" like that.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie2nd View Post
wow 29g for a Betta!
37g here with no current plans to add tank mates ;)

I think the aggression is based on space/plants/hiding places availability and since you have a big tank it wont be too much of a trouble.

OFC our fishyes can be grumpy, especially if he is the 'first tenant of the block'.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
Ami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
37g here with no current plans to add tank mates ;)

I think the aggression is based on space/plants/hiding places availability and since you have a big tank it wont be too much of a trouble.

OFC our fishyes can be grumpy, especially if he is the 'first tenant of the block'.
Well, the good news is that my betta is currently in a 10G tank, so I'll add him after adding the other denizens.
On another note, is it possible to have a sorority with one male if the 29G is heavily planted? I know that all of the fishies have their own personalities, so I'll have to keep a constant eye on things.

Here's something else I'm pondering on...the local Petco is selling baby bettas that are about 3/4 inches long. I was wondering if I should experiment with say 12 of them in a heavily planted 29G and pull out the ones that need to be rehomed. Fortunately I have a couple of spare tanks (2 x 20G, 1 10G) and dividers. I keep African cichlids and it makes it necessary to have a few spare tanks on hand Good thing my wife loves the fishies
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #8 
BettaBaited

Not gonna lie, most people are gonna tell you it's a bad idea. But I actually have a 29 right now with 5 females & a male. Although, I did think the male was a female for a long time. The male I have is a rosetail hm, I got him really young, and he's super laid back, behaving like a female. By the time I discovered it, they were already established, and I see no problems. The tank is planted pretty heavily, with lots of hiding spots, but the only little squabbles I've seen are between females.

Regardless, you would need the right male. I'm pretty sure the setup I have would not work for the vast majority of bettas, but for these individuals, it works. :)
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #9 
Ami

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaited View Post
Not gonna lie, most people are gonna tell you it's a bad idea. But I actually have a 29 right now with 5 females & a male. Although, I did think the male was a female for a long time. The male I have is a rosetail hm, I got him really young, and he's super laid back, behaving like a female. By the time I discovered it, they were already established, and I see no problems. The tank is planted pretty heavily, with lots of hiding spots, but the only little squabbles I've seen are between females.

Regardless, you would need the right male. I'm pretty sure the setup I have would not work for the vast majority of bettas, but for these individuals, it works. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Just out of curiousity, how large were the fish when you got them? Did you add them all at the same time? I can get baby bettas here for just $2 each.

I guess I'll get a few babies and see what I get. It seems the approach is the same as I did for my malawi cichlids...get 'em as young as you can, give lots of cover, good water, good food and remove the ones that get too aggressive / picked on. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...I have no experience with Bettas.
This is going to be fun
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I also had a young male in with females and he lived peacefully with them for a year and a half. Until I purchased another female to add to my sorority and she killed him.

So I would never recommend housing a male and females together, no matter what size tank you use. Too much risk involved IMO and when in a sorority setting females tend to gang up and attack as a group. If it had just been one male and one female I probably would not have seen the damage I did when I fished my poor male's body out.

If you are not familiar with bettas I would certainly not recommend you mix males and females. It is something I would not advise even an experienced individual to undertake. Bettas are unpredictable at the best of times and all it takes is one small (and what might seem to you insignificant) change and your whole tank can dissolve into chaos.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote