Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 
tunkisCR

Unhappy HELP betta's body has no scales!

About 2 weeks ago I started to notice 2 scales of my blue betta's body become grey but I thought it was the light so I just ignored it and this week the scales fell from the body and more scales have fallen off! I can see the red of its interior and its energy has gone down way too much, also his fins have developed holes in them I AM VERY WORRIED. what is happening?!?! How can i cure it!! I went to the aquarium today and bought potassium that is like a purple liquid that i have to put on my betta but I want your opinion PLEASE HELP
tunkisCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
Sakura8

He lost all of his scales? Uhm, can you perhaps provide a picture? And be careful with potassium permageate, it's very strong stuff.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
tunkisCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
He lost all of his scales? Uhm, can you perhaps provide a picture? And be careful with potassium permageate, it's very strong stuff.
Not all of them but he will if I dont help him... take a look
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Looks like he ripped a few off and then got an infection. If you have something you can use as a hospital tank, put him in that and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Otherwise, if you want to treat him with salt in his regular tank make sure there are no live plants, snails, or shrimp. Change the water at least 50% every day and redose the amount of salt you took out. So if you take out half a gallon, add back in 1/2 tsp of salt. Do this for a week at least. Also, if you can, find a product called Kordon Fish Protector OR API Stress Coat. Both are very good for healing flesh wounds like that. Keep his water warm and as close to 78-80 F as you can. Feed him high protein foods like frozen bloodworms and a good quality pellet.

Keep us updated.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to go ahead and move this thread into diseases and emergencies, okay?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #5 
tunkisCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Looks like he ripped a few off and then got an infection. If you have something you can use as a hospital tank, put him in that and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Otherwise, if you want to treat him with salt in his regular tank make sure there are no live plants, snails, or shrimp. Change the water at least 50% every day and redose the amount of salt you took out. So if you take out half a gallon, add back in 1/2 tsp of salt. Do this for a week at least. Also, if you can, find a product called Kordon Fish Protector OR API Stress Coat. Both are very good for healing flesh wounds like that. Keep his water warm and as close to 78-80 F as you can. Feed him high protein foods like frozen bloodworms and a good quality pellet.

Keep us updated.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to go ahead and move this thread into diseases and emergencies, okay?
Thank you! I will do that, so I stop the potassium treatment? And its fine thanks I dont know why i didnt put it there in the first place!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, for now, I'd definitely stop the potassium. That is potent stuff. AQ salt and Kordon Fish Protector should help for now.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Whoa, the injury looks very serious! Hope it gets better.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 
tunkisCR

Good news!

So not even a week has passed and my baby is much, MUCH better! His injury turned light pink and is now getting smaller and his energy is much better! I have him in a 1/2 gallon with a heater and every day I change most of his water and put 1 teaspoon of AQ salt. I have been feeding him freeze dried bloodworms everyday and he looks so happy! Thank you very much for all the help! Here's some pics of his recovery
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #9 
Sakura8

He is looking much better! How long has he been in AQ salt? 14 days is the max, although you probably could go over a few days. Has he been eating and acting pretty good?

What a cute face he has. :)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #10 
babystarz

Oh wow, he looks MUCH better already. That injury looked bad but clearly you've been taking great care of him :)

Do you give him pellets in addition to the bloodworms? I'm just asking because while bettas LOVE freeze-dried bloodworms, they're not very nutritious (I compare them to potato chips) and he needs the protein he can get from New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet pellets :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote