Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 
Kittykat7

New lady... (adopted a poor, sad, sick little thing)

Here is my new lady... I haven't named her just yet. I went out hunting for some new ladies for my sorority tank today and only wanted 2 bettas. I found a stunning blue/green little lady at petsmart who was very stressed and a beautiful pink/purple and blue lady at petco. Just as I was about to leave petco I checked one last little cup... my heart sank at the sight of this poor little lady. Her water was not nasty at all, I think maybe she just wasn't fed or something.

This is her already at home in here 1 gal hospital tank. I added a little bit of aquarium salt to her water. She is already doing way better. I gave her some frozen brine shrimp and she loved it. She ate 3 of them. She really was not doing any swimming when I first put her in her tank and now she is starting to swim and explore her tank.

Her body does not bend like that all the time. I really hope I can nurse her back to health. Other than being skinny and stressed I don't think there is anything wrong with her.
Kittykat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 
Kittykat7

Her she was still in her cup...

You can see that her body does straighten out...

And here is the tank she will join once she is feeling better...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
chimes11

Cute setup. (: Hope the little girl gets better.
chimes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 
Kittykat7

Thanks... I sure hope she pulls through. This is my first time attempting to rehab a sick fish.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
TheCheese909

Unfortunately I see Bettas like that all the time at PetSmart. It's not the store's fault, I'm in there all the time and have made friends with the fish keepers and they know I love Bettas. They take care of their Bettas and feed them properly as well as clean out their cups on a regular basis... It's whoever it is they are getting the Bettas from.

I'm glad you took this one home, hopefully she'll pull through just fine. I've seen acouple other people on here who have rescued Bettas in similar conditions and they seemed to recover with some good tlc.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 
Kittykat7

Yeah... it's definitely not my pet stores fault on this one. The petco that I always go to does such a great job keeping up with their betta care. I have never had a problem with a dirty tank or ill treated betta. I think this little lady was just looked over. Now... the one and only petsmart in my area is a different story. They used to do a great job with their bettas, but lately it seems like they don't care anymore. I have seen some pretty dirty cups and bettas in poor condition. I was lucky with the 2 females I have adopted from them.

I just hope my little girl pulls through. I think she will though, she's a fighter!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 
registereduser

She's a crowntail, that much is clear. I bet she colors up with some red

She must feel like she won the lottery
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 
Kittykat7

All my LPS seem to only have crowntail females. I can't wait to see her colors. You can see some red already around the edges of her fins. In the store she was just grey, once I got her outside and her water stared to warm up the red came out a little.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #10 
CandiceMM

I love stories like this, it's great to see people out there making a difference in the lives of our favorite little fish. She is a true beauty and her beauty will shine bright with your love and care. Please keep us posted and can't wait to see pictures when she is all colored up and healthy.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote