Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

how often do you give out unsolicited fish advice?

seems like i can't EVER go to the pet store without seeing some clueless schmuck being given false advice by a sales person who doesn't know what they're talking about. the staff all either think i'm very helpful or very annoying.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
seems like i can't EVER go to the pet store without seeing some clueless schmuck being given false advice by a sales person who doesn't know what they're talking about. the staff all either think i'm very helpful or very annoying.
I do it all the time...the other day I spent 20 minutes in Petsmart helping a young couple who didn't speak much English trying to find the right supplies for their gold fish...I like helping lol.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I do it all the time...the other day I spent 20 minutes in Petsmart helping a young couple who didn't speak much English trying to find the right supplies for their gold fish...I like helping lol.
same here, i just hate the thought of someone going home with good intentions but no knowledge and ending up with unhappy, unhealthy and eventually dead fish. that's why i can never hold my tongue, even if the sales staff are obviously annoyed that i'm undermining them.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 
Silverfang

quite often... even added information when the guy working there didn't know.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
same here, i just hate the thought of someone going home with good intentions but no knowledge and ending up with unhappy, unhealthy and eventually dead fish. that's why i can never hold my tongue, even if the sales staff are obviously annoyed that i'm undermining them.
Same here...I had the salesgirl really mad at me one time when I talked a woman OUT of buying a betta fish for her little boy. She had no idea how much care they really need, and they were leaving on vacation. She told her son that they would read up on them, and get one when they got back.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 
fleetfish

I like to help people to choose a betta. Sometimes they will pick out a visibly ill or injured fish and then I ask them a few questions or point the healthier ones out for them. Then I tell them about my setups and they usually pick out something bigger than a bowl. One time I convinced a woman to get a full ten gallon tank with dividers, heater, and even helped to choose healthy bettas. She thanked me and was on her merry way. The store staff around here are usually very open with their customers, so it's no big deal if I step up and give another customer some help. :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
wombatgirl

I couldn't make it through the walmart pet section without helping a family find the right tank. (although I have to work on being more persuasive - they didn't get a good one, but at least they didn't get the tiny one that they were originally looking at)
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 
registereduser

Never, I don't think I could be of much help unless it is betta they want and even then, I'm still a newbie.

I figure they will make some mistakes and then turn to the internet and get educated. Those are the same steps I took
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #9 
a123andpoof

I tried helping someone yesterday and they were really friendly even told them about this site. They were looking at the half gallon divided bowls. I talked them into a 1g kritter keeper. They didnt leave with a betta though so I am hoping they are coming here to learn first.
And I helped a lady with her kids the other day at walmart. They to were really open though I think they realize when I say I have 12 bettas I know what I am talking about lol
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Never...I'm way too spineless to butt in, unless someone approaches me and wants to talk...and that only happened once.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote