Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #1 
skepkat

Harvesting wild food - (1st thread)

Hello. Been lurking for several weeks now while I got my first Betta settled. (I hope the picture of Chuck shows up to the left). You all have answered many questions and helped in so many ways (great stickies).

Anyway, I do have a question. I went out today to grab some "treats" for Chuck and found some other wigglies swimming with the mosquito larvae. Can anyone help identify them? (I think I attached a picture).

If anyone is curious, I have a 5 gallon tank with a small filter (baffled), live plants, a small light and a thermometer. I don't have a heater because the light currently keeps the tank plenty warm. Before anyone jumps on me, I like it warm in my house and keep the temp for entire house set at about 78 - 80. I know, apparently that's not standard room temperature - but it is around here.
Attached Images

skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Be careful wild food can kill your Betta diseases viruses parasites
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum! It does sound like you have a good setup. The only thing I would worry about is the light causing a large fluctuation in temp, but if you've got that under control, you're great!

Where did you get these from? A cup sitting in your yard? Or a pond? I would only be wary of things that came from a pond.

As for the other squirmies in the picture, I think I see two snails. The only other thing I can ID are the wormy-things. They are probably some type of midge (chironomidae) larvae. Without a microscope it's rather hard to determine. They could also be an aquatic worm (oligochaeta). To err on the safe side I don't think I'd feed them to my betta without a positive ID.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #4 
skepkat

I have a couple of bowls that catch rainwater. I check on them about twice a week. When they have mosquito larvae, I net a few and empty the bowl for the next rain.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

They are probably some kind of midge larvae. Oligochaets are generally found in ponds. Things like that are what betta would normally eat, so they are good to feed as treats.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They do look like midge larvae-- aka bloodworms.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 
GreyHounD

I fed my baby's tubifex next 3 days they got ick..
just watch out for those worms if they cultured themselves..
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #8 
rosy delta

Would anyone recommend regular flighted fruit flies? the flightless ones are pricey and mosquito larva wont be here for much longer in the northern states.
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosy delta View Post
Would anyone recommend regular flighted fruit flies? the flightless ones are pricey and mosquito larva wont be here for much longer in the northern states.
Nothing wrong with them besides you'd have a lot of trouble handling them (open the jar they start flying away). And you might have to force them underwater.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #10 
rosy delta

Maybe sticky tape to catch them... Or not, dont want to hurt the fish. I could keep them in the fridge, they would be dormant then maybe. Will have to try it and let you know. right now i have to encourage a few into the house so i can try.
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote