Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
Catie79

Betta imbellis fanciers

I did a search on the forums but didn't find much in the way of current threads on this species. I'm looking to design my new 40 gallon breeder with this species in mind, so I'm looking for other fanciers that have this species. Right now I'm thinking just six of them, keeping in mind that the tank would have otos, cories, and wouldn't be full to the top. I'm thinking 12 inch depth, so closer to 30 gallons with a little island. With a school of otos and a school of cories, there would already be twelve fish in the tank. Heavily planted, six seems like a good number, but I'd like to get the opinions of someone that's kept the species. Would ten be a better number, or is it better to give them space?

Anyone out there? I want to have the right parameters in mind while laying out the hardscape and buying plants. They look so beautiful, but my research has been so conflicted. I've seen everything from 'keep them separate at all times' to 'completely peaceful'.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
I did a search on the forums but didn't find much in the way of current threads on this species. I'm looking to design my new 40 gallon breeder with this species in mind, so I'm looking for other fanciers that have this species. Right now I'm thinking just six of them, keeping in mind that the tank would have otos, cories, and wouldn't be full to the top. I'm thinking 12 inch depth, so closer to 30 gallons with a little island. With a school of otos and a school of cories, there would already be twelve fish in the tank. Heavily planted, six seems like a good number, but I'd like to get the opinions of someone that's kept the species. Would ten be a better number, or is it better to give them space?

Anyone out there? I want to have the right parameters in mind while laying out the hardscape and buying plants. They look so beautiful, but my research has been so conflicted. I've seen everything from 'keep them separate at all times' to 'completely peaceful'.
i don't know much about imbellises (imbelli?) but i know that all betta species are aggressive to some degree, though splendens are definitely much more so, since they've been bred to be. you might wanna keep them cupped and floating until you've had time to observe their reactions to other fish, and only introduce them if you're sure they'll be okay.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Look for LittleBettaFish she's a collector of wild bettas :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm a big fan of B imbellis and B smarigdina so I've done a little research.

From what I recall imbellis like pH no higher than 7.0.

Mouth brooders are generally more peaceful than nesters. Imbellis are sometimes called "peaceful Betta," but that's not the recommendation you're looking for, is it?

Have you checked the IBC species roster?

Imbellis, smarigdina and splendens are closely related.

I wouldn't put my smarigdina in with others.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote