Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 
Chrexis

Need help

Hello! So I have hornwort, water wisteria and java moss in both my 5.5 gallon tanks. I have malaysian trumpet snails in both, but apparently a breed of snails that I did not want got it and are reproducing. I can identify their egg clusters and remove them from the hornwort(which they are using to reproduce). And I am killing them on sight as well, but what I want to know is, what is an effective way of dealing with them without harming the MTS or the bettas, or the plants?
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

An assassin snail would kill other snails unfortuntly the will eat your MTS I know most puffer fish refuse your MTS but your yank is too small and the Betta will not like it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 
Pilot00

Assassins will dote job but as said the breed you want to keep will become collateral damage unless you can isolate them somehow. Your tank is pretty small for anything else to work. You can use the snail lettuce trap to keep the population under control till the assassins wipe them out.

Also dont fear assassins dont reproduce like mad so they can be easy to rid of.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 
kfryman

Just don't let there be access food and keep removing them. When there isn't a lot of food they can't breed.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I bet they are and sound like pond snails, I had them on my Hornwort after I QT it and thought I got them all off before I put in in the tank but now after a month and half a few are starting to pop up. I dont kill them I have a small gallon tank I keep them in using conditioned water and yes they do lay alot of eggs in there which I remove when I do water changes I feed the algae wafers an fish food. But like you I do not want them in my Betta tank, he ate one last week that he saw before I could get it out, he seemed to like it he chewed and chewed and spit it out a couple of times only to get it again and chew some more..lol I was worried he eat the shell but he was over my moss ball and I took that out and there was a tiny empty shell on it. I dont know other then using the lettuce or another veggie like cucumber, put it in before bedtime and first thing in the morning check to see if any snails are on it and take it out. Be careful not to overfed your Betta so the snails dont have any food at the bottom of the tank. Check and remove all eggs everyday, I am lucky I have not found any eggs in my Bettas tank. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Squish them an feed to betta! he'll love it!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #7 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Squish them an feed to betta! he'll love it!
+1

Just keep up the fight, they'll run out of troops sooner or later :)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #8 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
+1

Just keep up the fight, they'll run out of troops sooner or later :)
If they are a breed that can produce by themselves i dont think so. They will eventually start to be born with genetic defects but i dont think they will stop reproducing. Unfortunently its a fight you cant win without the use of extreme measures without emptying the tank: Either snail eating fish or assassin snails.

Every other measure is just a temporary stop gap.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote