Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #1 
SnowySurface

Quick Tank Question

For nearly a week I've had a few questions about my new fish Nibbles. My question is pretty simple, but I want to put in a bit of background info first since this is my third thread about him. At this point I've had more trouble with Nibbles in the past 2 weeks then I had with Luigi during 3 1/2 years he was with me.

The first question was about Nibbles not eating. At the moment, I can get Nibbles to eat bloodworms if I nudge them towards his face, but pellets are a lost cause. While trying to figure out what was the cause of no appitite, I noticed his heater was making the tank temp 87 instead of 79 degrees. Nibbles hasn't been able to float properly since. For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking the link, he bobs up and down in the corner of my hospital tank like a fish lure. As of today, not only is he floating the same exact way, but he is now starting to sink in slow motion, swim back to the top, sink in slow motion, swim back to the top, ect. He can swim in all directions when he's active, but when he wants to rest he can't be horizontal. So...I'm not sure if he's sleeping properly.

Now that all the background info is out of the way...

Does this mean my dreams of transferring him to his permanent 8 gallon tank are dashed and I should buy a shallow 2 gallon tank as his permanent home instead?
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Might be swim bladder or fins that are too long also try some live food he will love to hunt it like flightless fruit flies and the numerous live foods sorry about Luigi i assume he lived in a bowl from his life span.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

1) I know it's swim bladder. That's why I'm asking if 8 gallons is too big. If it is I have no problems getting the right sized set up. XD

2) Nibbles is a Plakat who had fin rot when I put him in the hospital tank. I can assure you that fin length is not a problem.

3) I can't have live food in my apartment so I'm going to stick to frozen food. I also thoroughly thaw the food so it doesn't expand in their stomaches.

4) Luigi was one of 3 fish I had during my senior year in college. That spring I went to study abroad in Japan and my mom said she and Grandma would watch my fish for me while I was gone. On my return, I discovered Mario was already dead, I couldn't save Peach, and Luigi's immune system was never the same.

Ammonia levels so low that the API liquid test aren't sensitive enough to detect would give him sores. The temp disaster I dealt with when I first moved into my apartment certainly didn't give his weak immune system a boost. Then the cherry on top of the needs sundae was the fact that taking him out of his tank to preform 100% water changes stressed him to the point he would stripe up.

Luigi died young because I had to come to terms with the fact that a 3 1/2 years old fish in a 5 gallon cycled tank with picture perfect parameters who still gets fin rot and sores has an immune system that is completely shot to hell. I could have continued his treatment for a 3rd week or found stronger meds and tried for a third week. I will admit that. But he would just catch the same thing for a 6th time and a 7th time and an 8th time.

So, no, your assumption is incorrect. Luigi didn't die at the age of 3 1/2 because he was kept in a bowl. He died because I squished him with a rock.

I know I'm being a bit snarkier than usual, but I hate tank size battles. I hate them even more when people try to use my deceased fish as an example of why small tanks are bad. I prefer cycled tanks. But I'm not going to put Nibbles in a 8 gallon cycled tank when he would be more comfortable in shallower water that doesn't have the current of a filter. -_-
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry maybe boredom might be the problem interactive stuff and making him work a little extra to get food to interest him sorry about some of my comments a bigger tank or more decorations might help since he has swim bladder he may need medication Indian almond leaved really help sick fish and Betta fish in general. WAIT you killed your fish so sad when they get sick a lot other factors are involved that is worse than a bowl but I can not understand why but you have your fish ways my female lost her fins I separated her a while later sick treated her day later sick again just my way she was the first fish i ever cured of disease.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 08-30-2012 at 05:38 PM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

No problem.

I'm usually not that snap-ish(?) but I don't want any of my fish used as an example of why bowls are bad. Especially since I don't even use bowls or vases. XD By all means have your opinions about tank sizes. Just don't use my fish as worse case scenerios. :)

As for Nibbles, I was already using Indian Almond Leaves for his fin rot and making his food move with tweasers to try and make him chase it. I think my moving bloodworms was more realistic than my bouncing pellets. So, that's probably why I could only get him to eat bloodworms. ^_^;

I also noticed that he wouldn't really go to the bottom of his tank, so I did add some fake plants and a castle since I was worried about over salting live plants. So he was in the hospital tank, that had a hiding spot, and some decore to explore. My tank question was more so to plan ahead since his 2 gallon hosipital tank was never meant to be permanent.

Unfortunately, he passed away sometime last night. So in his own way, Nibbles answered my question for me. I don't know if I made matters better or worse with my treaments, but I hope I at least made him somewhat more comfortable until the end. V_V
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
So, no, your assumption is incorrect. Luigi didn't die at the age of 3 1/2 because he was kept in a bowl. He died because I squished him with a rock.
If you were going to euthanize him you could have done it in a more humane way.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
If you were going to euthanize him you could have done it in a more humane way.
Sorry for the late reply. Labor Day weekend was a bit hectic for me.

While it sounds graphic, crushing is humane. Since it upsets you, I won't type out the exact instructions, but the fish dies before it feels a thing.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #8 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Labor Day weekend was a bit hectic for me.

While it sounds graphic, crushing is humane. Since it upsets you, I won't type out the exact instructions, but the fish dies before it feels a thing.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #9 
SnowySurface

Nevermind, I'm am going to go into detail because my way of euthanasia seems to be giving people the wrong idea. -_-

The way I do it is to wrap up the fish in a damp paper cloth so the fish doesn't dry out in any way once out of the tank. Place the bundle on the floor, aim, and crush the entire fish in one motion. The fish goes from suffering to at peace in 1 second.

Crushing is humane and nearly impossible to mess up because it is that simple. The fish doesn't feel or see a thing.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #10 
OrangeAugust

I didn't read the details because it does upset me, but thanks for letting me know that it is humane. I'll take your word for it.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote