Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #1 
NeoViking

A happy ending for a sad fishy (:

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place ^^; I assume so cause the whole point is to show my fish but correct me if I'm wrong.

I was heart broken visiting the fish shop local to me.
I've always known that bettas are commonly kept in those small cube shape tanks in a lot of shops or even those plastic pots with a lid.
But I was shocked at the conditions my newest betta "Kairi" was being kept in.

I've been planning for weeks to get another betta, but I'd been holding off due to my cat suddenly getting ill (only mildly ill but he still needs treating), I needed to pay for Mr Jinxy's treatment first and the fish was going to wait since if I wanted something special it would cost me anything from 15-30 and that's money I could be spending on my cat.
So I've just had a tank sat in my room cycling with nothing in it for a few weeks.

I was out yesterday and thought to myself I'd just see what they had in stock to see what their bettas are like.
Most places around here only sell the vail tails so I was looking for somewhere which sold something different.

I walked around the shop and couldn't see any bettas, so I went over and asked the guy if he ever sold betta fish and he told me he's got one left.
I was lead to a shelf within reach of children and dogs and shown the most depressed looking yellow betta in an insignificant volume of water at the bottom of a drinking glass... no lid, just a narrow drinking glass with only enough water for his fins to stand up.
His tail was damaged, I'm not sure if it's fin rot or if he's been biting his own tail but there's certainly some tail missing.
I felt so bad for him!

After talking with the guy I was able to take the betta home for free since he was damaged and undesirable to other customers.
When I got the fish home I tested the water that was in his bag (unfortunately my third test tube broke a while ago so I tested amonia and nitrite) and frowned at the test results.
The amonia (in the green tube) is supposed to show up pale yellow and the nitrite (in the purple tube) is supposed to show up pale blue. this guy's been swimming in toxic water.

His first tank is a 15ltr filtered heated tank with silk plants and some anubias on a bog-wood (:
I'll upgrade his tank at a later date but right now I think he's happy to be able to move.
When I first put him in he just swam in one spot for about a minute, then cautiously started exploring his new home.

I've already got everything he needs, food, treats accessories est since I already have another male and female (in separate tanks) so he'll be sharing their stuff.
They've been eating the hikari pellets, Kairi's a bit nervous when I feed him at the moment, he wont take the food unless I walk away from the tank but he eats ok.

I'm keeping my eye on his tail just in case its fin rot. I don't want to jump the gun and treat it if it doesn't need treating but we'll see how that goes.
I do have some melafix under my cichlid tank if needs must though.
For now he's just got stress coat in his tank to help the healing.

I'm really pleased with him ^_^ he might take a bit of work for the first few weeks with his tail and getting him out of his shell but he'll get there.
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 
KevinPham123

Don't worry about any meds atm, keep with clean and warm water first :) and i'm very glad you got to bring him home. You've basically made yourself a hero for being his caretaker now. Congrats.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

I'm so happy you were able to bring him in and give him a proper home...congrats, he is gorgeous!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Poor little guy he is happy now I am sure and he is very pretty so good of you to give him a home !!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #5 
NeoViking

If I can avoid meds I will, I don't really want to put an antibacterial treatment in my recently cycled tank but if needs absolutely must then I do have melafix on standby.
I'm going to see how he goes with good hygiene and stress coat first though (:

I can't wait to start bonding with him!
My other two will take food from my fingers, Kairi hides until the cost is clear lol!
I'm sure he'll grow out of doing that though, I just need to find something he really likes and maybe give him a little more cover in his tank to make him feel safer.
Vega's plants are due for trimming, I'll give Kairi some of the off cuts for now.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
lelei

Oh yes, it is a happy ending, I am so glad to hear he is in a loving home, and is getting the love and attention he needs, He will do just fine, given some time, and warm, clean water, and good food to perk up his energy. I love happy Endings:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 
NeoViking

He'll be getting all that alright ^__^ <3
I've always liked to spoil Vega and Chun Li, Kairi's going to be just as spoiled (:

I've just peeked over at him, I could be completely wrong about this... in fact it'd surprise me if that's what he was doing since its only his first day but.... what does a bubble nest look like?!
I just spotted him with his face in a small cluster of bubbles around his thermometer.
If it's likely he's seen my female would it be a good idea to move him out of her sight?
I want him to take it easy and heal that damaged tail of his, I don't want him stressing out over females (assuming it would stress him out)
I don't actually have any intention to bread him so his bubble nest would be pointless anyway.

Last edited by NeoViking; 08-29-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Just noticed something
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 
lelei

Males love to build a bubble nest, yes for mating, but also to test thier skills, it seems to me, they keep going, no matter if they mate or not..so It's a good sign of good health..a sick fish cannot do that..so he is doing very well, too bad he couldn't mate, he is a very pretty boy..

and a HM it looks like..there is not stress in building a bubble nest, or flaring, they are showing activity, and that shows that they are responsive to their surroundings, and as long as it's not constant flaring, nests are fine, it's relaxing..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 
NeoViking

Maybe in the future I might let them bread, but Chun Li's still a juvenile right now herself ^^
XD she acts more like a small like a piranha the way she eats though lol.

I'm glad it's a good sign ^^ I had a brief moment of worry then!
If its therapeutic he can carry on all he likes (: and if it's a sign of good heath then even better!
That's just taken the worry off my mind there and better!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #10 
nel3

be careful of Melafix or anything __fix. the eucalyptus part of the meds dont really help the labyrinth organs. some say it kills the fish some say it can be used safely in certain conditions. i personally stay away from those ___fix meds for betta.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote