Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #11 
megaredize

congrats hes a beauty i bet he will look even better with the clean water he has now. i would also stay away from meds unless something comes up.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #12 
NeoViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
be careful of Melafix or anything __fix. the eucalyptus part of the meds dont really help the labyrinth organs. some say it kills the fish some say it can be used safely in certain conditions. i personally stay away from those ___fix meds for betta.

Wow, thanks for the warning!
I didn't realize it had such a negative affect on bettas!
But now that you say it that does make a lot of sense.
I'll avoid it like the plague! I'm never going to use any "fix" meds on my bettas ever!

If needs absolutely must I'll shop around for something safer.
I got a feeling he'll heal up just fine on his own though (:
I'm going to give clean water and stress coat a go first and see how that goes.

I'll leave meds as the last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
congrats hes a beauty i bet he will look even better with the clean water he has now. i would also stay away from meds unless something comes up.

He's looking much better already now he's had some food and a good swim around his tank (:
He looked very dull and depressed in his glass and didn't do anything, now he's bombing about and making bubble nests on his thermometer lol! (I was quite surprised when he started doing that XD)
I'm so pleased with him!

Last edited by NeoViking; 08-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #13 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Let's see some more pictures of him whenever you get a chance. He is very lucky you found him.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #14 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoViking View Post
Wow, thanks for the warning!
I didn't realize it had such a negative affect on bettas!
But now that you say it that does make a lot of sense.
I'll avoid it like the plague! I'm never going to use any "fix" meds on my bettas ever!

If needs absolutely must I'll shop around for something safer.
I got a feeling he'll heal up just fine on his own though (:
I'm going to give clean water and stress coat a go first and see how that goes.

I'll leave meds as the last resort.
NP neoviking. whenever i see people looking at ___fix meds i warn them about that issue. ive done so in the past already and led them to AQ salt. i told them the dangers of it but didnt tell them to not buy it. they went ahead with 7-10 days of AQsalt though i didnt see them again nor fins out the result. though it was either finrot or minor tail damage.

there are several safe meds on the market so you wont have much issue with that if you have the right pet stores. dont get Betta revive, its also has some potentially fatal betta results. i never tried it but read about it. it comes in a small fish shaped bottle with blue coloured med. i hope the fish lives a long and healthy life.

i think some of the blame is the business regarding shelf stocking practices and to get ppl to buy the product even if results are ambiguos. betta revive and ___fix are some of the shakier ones imo. i can believe they still work safely on most fish but not on labyrinth organ fish. i dont have any proof of that claim but i do believe such products are put on the market BC they do get the desired effect given the right conditions.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #15 
NeoViking

I threw this together real quick.
I really need to get a better camera XD
I'm going to make some video of him when I get the chance ^^

Quote:
NP neoviking. whenever i see people looking at ___fix meds i warn them about that issue. ive done so in the past already and led them to AQ salt.
I've given him a little AQ salt to see how he goes with that (:
Only a teeny little bit but it should be enough.
I'd never actually thought about using salt but good call! I'd forgotten all about that! stress coat and AQ salt should be the only things he needs ^^ he doesn't look like he's getting any worse so hopefully I can get away with saying this means he's getting better (:
Just got to wait on his tail to grow back I think.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #16 
lelei

Oh wow, look at the colors coming out on him..beautiful lil guy..so glad you found him!!! He looks really wonderful, considering the conditions he was prev.in..whatever your doing keep up the great work:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #17 
NeoViking

His colours do seem to be coming out a little (:
I'm not sure if that's just his pellets or what's doing it but I've noticed his colours coming out too.
In particular his blue/pink sheen.

He's come out of his shell a lot too (:
Yesterday I had to stand away from his tank when he ate or he wouldnt come out of hiding, today I was stood right next to his tank dropping in blood worm and he didn't flinch.
I think he's gotten used to the association that standing by his tank = food's coming lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #18 
mursey

Aw, he looks really good. :)
Old 09-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #19 
NeoViking

I had a spot of luck today ^_^
I was looking through the garage for something for the cat and stumbled across my previous betta "Ryu"'s tank (I'm so lame naming all my bettas after street fighter characters)
It's a 30ltr tank, its only down side is that I stole the light off it and gave it to my other boy Vega so there's no light XD... well there is but its being used lol.
30ltr is better than 15ltr though (: I think this is going to be his new forever tank.
I was feeling sort of bad keeping him in the 15ltr cause he's a big boy and that wasn't exactly a big tank.

Also, he met my female Chun Li while I was getting the tank set up for him.
I had him in a small carry container while I was getting it all ready for him and put him next to her tank for a little while.
He seems a healthy boy, he was flaring at her at the side of his container making himself look all big and she was getting quite excitable trying to get to him lol.
It's nice to know he's got lots of energy though (: its the first time I've seen him flare up.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #20 
mursey

Out of curiosity I just had to look up how many gallons that is :)

15 liters = 3.96258 gallons
30 liters = 7.92516 gallons

Well. . . a 30 liter tank is pretty nice then! He is going to be spoiled :) Not a lot of bettas get that much room for themselves.