Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Just took a trip to the pet store. Help please!

So I just went to my local LPS, and I noticed that instead of putting bettas in tupperwares, they now come in class jars, and also, they have KINGS in vases. But the buyer gets both for a discounted price. Whoop de doo. It's good I don' have any room otherwise I would have snatched one.

Most of them were severly clamped (they were allo VTs or plakats), but some were gorgeous.

Now, I splurged a bit and I got an ammonia tester, a new thermometer for the tank, and Hornwort.

I am LOST.
I don't know how to care for Hornwort, all I know is that it was a free floating plant, or so I was told. I don't want ANY ANY ANY ANY snails, so how can I make sure of that? I don't even want the chance of snails getting into my tank. If that happens, I'm not going near the fishtank unless someone takes them all out. Dead serious.

Also, I need to know if the thermometer is okay. It's a glass one, but there's no beads on it like the one I have now, so I don't know if it's 100% safe. I'm about to test the ammonia right now too.

Any help would be great!

Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 
mattoboy

To quarantine plants, keep them in a seperate container of water for 5-7 days
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

okay will do. Also, I got .5 for my ammonia in the 5 gal. Is that okay?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 
MollyJean

You are scared of snails? I'm sorry to hear that, they're really wonderful little things and fun as heck to watch. But, if you want to get rid of the snails, Bleach will work. Also, there are copper additives, you just have to find one that is safe for plants.

For Bleach, prepare a solution using one gallon of water and a cup and a half of bleach. Soak the plants for five minutes, then soak for another five minutes in plain water with a de-chlorinating agent added, and rinse well. After this, place the plants in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks. If there are any eggs left they will hatch in this time. Repeat the bleach process at 2 weeks, then wait 3 days to be sure the plants are healthy.

Some fragile plants may be damaged by bleach solutions. However, bleach is the most effective way to kill snails and eggs.

Hornwort is pretty hardy, but you're going to get a little damage from the bleach. Don't worry, it'll grow back, especially if you use ferts.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
You are scared of snails? I'm sorry to hear that, they're really wonderful little things and fun as heck to watch. But, if you want to get rid of the snails, Bleach will work. Also, there are copper additives, you just have to find one that is safe for plants.

For Bleach, prepare a solution using one gallon of water and a cup and a half of bleach. Soak the plants for five minutes, then soak for another five minutes in plain water with a de-chlorinating agent added, and rinse well. After this, place the plants in a quarantine tank for 2 weeks. If there are any eggs left they will hatch in this time. Repeat the bleach process at 2 weeks, then wait 3 days to be sure the plants are healthy.

Some fragile plants may be damaged by bleach solutions. However, bleach is the most effective way to kill snails and eggs.

Hornwort is pretty hardy, but you're going to get a little damage from the bleach. Don't worry, it'll grow back, especially if you use ferts.

I don't have any bleach, and I don't kknow anyone who does, but I will definitely keep that in mind.
I put a bit of salt in there, so I'm hoping it will help a bit.

And yea, worms, slugs, and snails scare me. It's because when I was young, on top of an existing minor fear of them, my dad used to throw them at me :/
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 
MollyJean

Bleach is pretty cheap. The salt might work, but watch the plants closely, some don't do well in salty water.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

Definitely will do.

Now, is there anything wrong with my ammonia?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

.5 is good but you dont want it to get over .25 and I have Hornwort too and love it and Perseus loves it to he rest and sleeps in it. I QT mine in tap water for a few days and put it somewhere so it could get some sunlight. I did have snails on mine, pond snails and I had the extra gallon tank, no filter I had Perseus in for a week while I waited for his on line ordered 5 gallon tank to get here, I like the snails they are cute so I put them in the 1 gallon with conditioned water and am keeping them.

Since you are scared of them I would clean that plant good and QT it for 2 weeks an change the water everyday. I QT mine for a week and half and thought I had all the snails and or snail eggs off but after being in the tank for a month and half there are a few tiny snails starting to show up and Perseus ate one last week and yesterday I saw one climbing up plant and got it out before he saw it cause he would have ate it too I`m sure..lol Thank goodness he didnt eat the shell, I found the empty shell on my moss ball. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

*shudders*

The hornwort was in a 10 gallon tank filled with other plants, so if there were snails, wouldn't they stick to the side of the tank? I didn't see any on the sides so that's when I thought I'd be okay.

I currently have it in a tupperware with tap water and some salt.
I can move it into the 1 galon kritter keeper, but I currently have my fish supplies in there.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Just wanted to add that hornwort isn't a salt-tolerant plant. Putting it in salt to get rid of any snails will kill it, and depending on the snails, they might survive. Bleach will work to get rid of them. A good rinse in tap water will also help.

A reading of 0.5 ppm of ammonia is not good. Any ammonia in the tank will harm the fish. Anything over 0.25ppm is bad. Do a 50% water change to lower the ammonia.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote