Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
Hikari

Curing mild fin rot questions

My betta has had fin rot for a month now. He's had very mild cases of fin rot before, and they always cleared up right away with clean water. There's no filter, I clean his tank 100% once a week with a 25% partial in between.

He had a bit of red on his anal fin which cleared up, but his tail is getting worse. Not the whole tail, just one side of it. It's gotten shorter in the last week, but seems to have stopped now. I've increased his water changes, and I've also added an Indian Almond leaf hoping to cure it naturally, but there's been no change. I know it's mild fin rot since he still has more than half of his tail, and it's only affecting that one side. He's eating and acts normal.

Some history, about 2 weeks ago I moved him to the basement from the kitchen. He's in a much quieter room now, but moving to a new location must have stressed him out. He had a bit of the fin rot before I moved him, but it got worse from the stress. The main problem is I'm scared to medicate him since I've read some horror stories on the net about overdosing, or the fish not taking well to the medication. I do have some at home, though. I have Maracyn 1 and 2, as well as Jungle Fungus cure that says it treats bacteria infections as well. I also have aquarium salt, but I'm even afraid to add that since I read that it could hurt their kidneys. What do you think I should do? Like I said, it's mild fin rot right now, so should I just clean his tank 100% everyday, or should I start to medicate him?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, controlled with gang valve
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, 3 pellets a day, freeze dried bloodworms twice a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 100%, one 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Part of his tail on one side has disappeared and has red around the edges
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Increased water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 and a half to 3 years
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
Kenny G

If you do 100% water changes you will stress your betta out more. Do 2 water changes per week at 50% and 100%. I have always used Bettafix for fin rot and tail-biting and it has worked perfectly. Bettafix remedy is an all natural antibacterial medication. I did not use it every day as suggested. I used it 2 to 3 times a week for 7 days especially after water changes. I saw healing and regrowth in 1-2 weeks. Some might advise against it but never had a problem and my betta's were and are perfectly fine.

Last edited by Kenny G; 08-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Are you sure it isn't biting? And Bettafix can hurt their labyrinths with their tea tree oil. Doesn't sound all natural to me... Anything with -Fix can hurt them, don't risk it. If it's rot, do 100% daily changes for 10 days. Use the aquarium salt treatment with it as well. Add IAL if chosen and you don't need the other meds for this.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #4 
Kenny G

I cannot co-sign with lebron in this instance. But you will need to start a treatment. Research different meds including bettafix reviews and choose the one you feel most comfortable with.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, right... I forgot to say IMO. Many people have opinions so choose which ever works best for you. I'm just saying that the oil is prone to hurt them. So IMO, I won't take the chance. Salt IMO seems to be the best treatment for this as there are no risks until used more than 10 days.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 
Hikari

Thanks for the replies. I'm still really apprehensive about putting things in his water, even salt, although I did add an IAL which I hope will help. I did a 100% water change yesterday and have noticed that the wound doesn't look as red today as before. I think I'll give just plain old clean water a chance, and if there's no further improvement, I'll be forced to take a more aggressive approach. I think if just the clean water doesn't work, I'll try the salt, and then meds when all else fails. I'll research bettafix. I've had it before for my first betta, but it was so long ago I can't remember what it did for him. Do you think it's better to do the 100% water changes every second day instead of everyday? That will give him a day break to de-stress, and it does look like it's getting better from yesterday's water change.

As for tail biting, that's what I was thinking it might be, but the red was also on his anal and dorsal fins. Those cleared up, but the tail still has a red edging. Can it look like that from biting as well?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Sometimes, that's blood. Well, I'm sure of it. If it's growing back, tail biting. If getting smaller and more ragged, it's rot.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #8 
Kenny G

+1 at LebronTheBetta and IMO I would do the water changes every 3 days.

Last edited by Kenny G; 08-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #9 
Hikari

It was getting smaller and more ragged last week, but it's stopped now and it's not so red, but I don't see any new fin growth yet. I think maybe he either bit or injured his tail and the rot set in. That has happened before, but it hasn't gotten this short before. The stress from being moved from a new location probably made it worse this time around.

Well I did a full water change on Tuesday morning, so I'll wait until tomorrow morning to do another one.