Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 
Here19

Exclamation NEED HELP - Confused

I suspected that my fish Lapis has fin rot, but I'm a complete newbie to diseases so I wasn't sure. I asked others and it seemed that it may be, so I just started treating today with AQ salt. My question though is,

How will I know when he starts to get better?

I think I have to treat his water with AQ salt and do a full water change every day for ten days right? That's what I heard. Should I keep treating over the ten days?

Though I would really like to know how I can tell if he's getting better and I can stop the salt. Please give a detailed desciption. I'm a very visual reliant person. If you have a clear picture, that would help amazingly. Should I only give him salt for ten days? If that's the case, how can I tell if he's alright after those ten days are up? Any other suggestions on how to help would be amazing!

Thanks and please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? Currently in 0.5 gallon for treatment
What temperature is your tank? 78 - 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Basix
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Currently daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Currently 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta Plus conditioner, Currently AQ salt

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Red thread-like veins in the fins. Slight transparency in a greyish tone. Slight tears???
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't. Still perky as ever and is very enthusiastic about food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started today with 0.5 teaspoon AQ Salt in 0.5 gallon tank. I'm planning to do a full water change every day and repeat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I got him just a little more than a week ago and since then this is the only problem.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe around a year? Not sure.
Here19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #2 
WildFlower

You should not treat him for over 10 days. But you should tell that he is getting better when the red or black edges on his fins go away and are replaced by clear new growth on his fins. IMO I would treat him for at least 7 days, but would reccomend 10 to make sure you get the problem fixed.

Here is a good picture that shows all the stages that you will see:

You can see the clear new growth that you should see when he starts to get better. The red and black edges you should not see when he is fully recovered.

Last edited by WildFlower; 08-10-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Picture
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 
Here19

Thanks Wildflower, but what should I do if I treated for ten days and the problem is still there?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
WildFlower

I would be surprised if this didn't work, but if it doesn't I would give him about a week without AQ salt, but keep his water changes everyday.
~Your tank is at the right temperature but you don't have a heater, so I would also suggest getting one and heating up his tank to about 80 degrees to warm him up.
~Stress coat also works well because it enhances their slime coat which helps them stay healthy and heal.
~After the week I would then add the AQ salt once again for ten days.
This is only if the first treatment doesn't work. I would also ask the Old Fish Lady if this problem persists. I hope this helps!

Last edited by WildFlower; 08-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 
Here19

Ok. That sounds good. Thank you!
Who's the Old Fish Lady though?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 
WildFlower

You're welcome! She is an expert in betta fish care and illness. If you search her name 'The Old Fish Lady' you can comment on her profile and ask questions, and she will help in any way she can. She's really helpfull!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 
Here19

Where? On google? I tried, but all I got where Spongebob things. ^^; Could you perhaps provide a link?
One more thing. Are red streaks in the fins characteristic of fin rot? Like the stuff here?

http://s1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/Here19/

It's just photos I took of him before I started treating. It is fin rot right?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 
Twilight Storm

You can hit advanced search in the search option from the main forum index page in bettafish.com and pick member search put this in for OFL if you want her profile page to search her posts (good info there)

Or maybe just click that.... I was not expecting that to happen lol Now I know I can link members :D Learn something new every day I guess :D

You might even be able to search her posts in her profile. Fin rot/fin melt is a very common problem and a lot of people ask every day about it. :)

I can't tell from the pictures you have of him if it's fin rot or not, but if there is a black or bloody line behind the clear part of his fins I would suspect it was fin rot.

I am not sure what others would recommend, but 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of dechlorinated water (dissolve it completely before adding it to the hospital tank with your fish.) for 10 days I think is what is recommended usually. See if that's right first, you may need a higher dose possibly.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 08-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

sorry he isn't feeling well. Everybody pretty much said it all, but just remember to NEVER use AQ salt for more thank 7 days as it can damage a fish's internal organs and gills.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #10 
Here19

Alright. Thank you everyone for your help! He's looking much better!

Tags
fin rot, healing, healthy betta, identification, recovery